They had it. Then they lost it Page 3

I mean saying Mia is just another Tarrantino bloke is the kind of thing that makes me think Commode is one of those who "They had it. Then they lost it."

I liked Basterds. Got a bit bored by Jackie Brown and Kill Bill.

What is it with Basterds? It's got jokes which aren't very funny, a daffy structure and it just feels like a commando comic with tits and sadism.

I dunno.

I liked that episode of E.R he directed, although I haven't seen it since it first broadcast and I was about 12 years old.

That was good his guest appearance in Alias was dreadful.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2010, 7:25 PM BST

I didn't much like Desperado, and I only liked the first half of From Dusk Till Dawn. Also I stand alone in that I quite liked Death Proof.

No, I quite liked it too.

I do love Desperado though. (and El Mariachi and erm... that newer one with Depp. What did you think of those?)

Desperado? Are we still talking Tarantino? Because he didn't write or direct that film. It's a great film though.

Deathproof is a bit of mindless fun, it looks good and the B movie but good stylee. No one else does it as well (except Black Dynamite apparently)

But there's no heart or wit to it. And that's what made me watch True Romance far to many tmes.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2010, 7:25 PM BST

Also I stand alone in that I quite liked Death Proof.

Death Proof is a funny one. Kurt Russell is great, and the car chasey bit are good; but the bit with the gang of girls chatting, then hanging out in the bar for ages, really tested my patience.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 7:27 PM BST

What is it with Basterds? It's got jokes which aren't very funny, a daffy structure and it just feels like a commando comic with tits and sadism.

I dunno.

What is it with Basterds? I dunno; I liked it a lot. Though I'd rather it was made up entirely in style and tone to the sections I mentioned earlier.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 15 2010, 7:53 PM BST

Desperado? Are we still talking Tarantino? Because he didn't write or direct that film. It's a great film though.

Rodriguez. Any conversation about one is legally allowed to morph into the other. :)

I also earlier mentioned how shitty his latest kiddy movies have been.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2010, 7:57 PM BST

I can't remember much about El Mariachi, I think it all gets confused with Desperado and Once Upon A Time In Mexico in my head. I'm not a big fan of spaghetti westerns in general though, so probably not one for me.

Anyway all this talk of Tarantino is another opportunity for me to swank about getting to ask him a question at the Q&A at the launch of Jackie Brown, a recording of which was given away in the Guardian the following weekend. Go me etc.

Yeh but what did you ask?

Bet it was something really geeky?

Like where do your ideas come from? Or what do you think about England?

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 7:58 PM BST

I also earlier mentioned how shitty his latest kiddy movies have been.

I know, it's just Griff seemed to be listing Tarantino flicks but included a non-T flick, hence the confusion.

No ones mentioned Natural Born Killers. I know Tarantino hates it; apprently it's a lot different to the script he wrote, but I've never actually read his original, though I think it came out as a book.

Quote: Griff @ August 15 2010, 8:01 PM BST

I would agree that he's a pretty poor actor though.

He made quite the convining weird creep in Dusk TIll Dawn! :D

The weirdest one is Roger Avery cowriter on Dogs and Pulp Fiction (and I've always suspected the witty one).

He then made Killing Zoe which was awful and then he vanished.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 8:02 PM BST

The weirdest one is Roger Avery cowriter on Dogs and Pulp Fiction (and I've always suspected the witty one).

He then made Killing Zoe which was awful and then he vanished.

It's because Avery's contributions have been greatly exaggerated. Greatly. He didn't co-write, as that suggests they wrote them together and was behind, say, half of each script. They didn't and he isn't.

He did not write Dogs, for example.

Avery did write the original script for the Pulp section that became known as The Gold Watch; though it was heavilly rewritten by Tarantino after he included it.