They had it. Then they lost it Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 11:36 AM BST

Ok Jackie Brown was good.

But none of the later films seemed to have the simple pleasure of Vincent and Mia discussing office gossip. They just felt loud and kinda crude (except Jackie Brown). Like he'd given up and was parodying himself.

Sure, he changed, but I enjoyed where he went. It would be nice to get another Pulp Fiction, but it doesn't stop me enjoying the more simple, cartoon rush of Kill Bill.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 15 2010, 11:39 AM BST

He wrote the whole thing!

Then why the heck did he give up and go for all that vampiric nonsense.

Thought he just did the first half?
Well anyway, I dislike the second half, whoever wrote it.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 11:40 AM BST

Basterds I paid to watch on Virgin pay per view, after about half an hour I pretty much gave up.

Sadism without wit is just unpleasant.

There were terrific sections in that. The bit in the basement bar. The opening with the Jew Hunter arriving and drinking the milk. It didn't quite add up to a complete classic, but I think it did contain a few classic seqeunces.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 11:41 AM BST

Then why the heck did he give up and go for all that vampiric nonsense.

Because he was paid to write it by a special effects house, who wanted to do a lot of batshit crazy stuff.

The thing for me about Tarrantino was like early Woody Allan he had a really sharp knowing wit. Beyond funny clever and entertaining.

Only Dogs was the real thriller. Take away the wit and you've got some, flashy, clever thrillers which were ultimately deeply shallow.

Lol at 'deeply shallow'. :)

*Shrugs* I just enjoy his films, they're usually audacious fun.

Quote: zooo @ August 15 2010, 11:38 AM BST

I love Kill Bill. Wasn't keen on Basterds. Rather liked Grindhouse.

And his whole section of Dusk Till Dawn is brilliant.

I'm with Zoooo on 'Death Proof', I thought it was top notch. 'Basterds' was a disappointment though.

My Tarantino films in order:

Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
True Romance
From Dusk Till Dawn
Death Proof
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
Inglourious Basterds

Kudos for including True Romance. But Deathproof/Kill Bill over Jackie Brown?

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 2:52 PM BST

Kudos for including True Romance. But Deathproof/Kill Bill over Jackie Brown?

Jackie Brown is a tough one to judge. I was disappointed when I first saw it (I was probably expecting something akin to RD or PF), but I have enjoyed it on subsequent viewings. I guess my initial review of the film held sway when compiling the list.

Ah, Death Proof was his one, was it? I liked them both.

I think this sums up Tarantino http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItF0ZpWGZ0

Quote: Badhead @ August 15 2010, 6:04 PM BST

I think this sums up Tarantino http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zItF0ZpWGZ0

Well that's fine, but his central point, that Tarantino started making films like Kill Bill because he saw Jackie Brown as a box office failure, is supposition and opinion as opposed to fact. It may be true, but we don't actually know.

A very interesting point.

But Mia Wallace isn't a bloke nor is Tulip. I think Mr Kermode is twisting the facts to prove his point.

The bastard.

And Pulpfiction is better than Jackie Brown.

Quote: sootyj @ August 15 2010, 6:46 PM BST

And Pulpfiction is better than Jackie Brown.

Definitely.