What are all the 'Dad's Army' catchphrases? Page 2

Interestigly, Perry & Croft's other sitcoms (most notably It Ain't Half Hot Mum and You Rang, M'Lord?) were also full of catchphrases, yet nobody seems to remember them whereas the Dad's Army catchphrases live on.

Not that it's on topic exactly but I just bought an 00 gauge coke wagon with the name The Gas Light and Coke Co. on it.

That's where Frazer's lady friend worked IIRC. The one with the 'good strong thighs'

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 12 2010, 12:19 AM BST

Not that it's on topic exactly but I just bought an 00 gauge coke wagon with the name The Gas Light and Coke Co. on it.

That's where Frazer's lady friend worked IIRC. The one with the 'good strong thighs'

:D

Mainwaring takes Wilson to one side: That girl hasn't got big thighs at all.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 12 2010, 12:22 AM BST

Mainwaring takes Wilson to one side: That girl hasn't got big thighs at all.

CBA to get up and check, but is it War Dance or Turkey Dinner? Or something else entirely? !

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 12 2010, 12:27 AM BST

CBA to get up and check, but is it War Dance or Turkey Dinner? Or something else entirely? !

I think it's Mum's Army, but not 100% sure.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 12 2010, 12:31 AM BST

I think it's Mum's Army, but not 100% sure.

Ah, yes. I think you're right.

It's when they are all extolling the virtues of their respective nominees.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 11 2010, 11:39 AM BST

Interestigly, Perry & Croft's other sitcoms (most notably It Ain't Half Hot Mum and You Rang, M'Lord?) were also full of catchphrases, yet nobody seems to remember them whereas the Dad's Army catchphrases live on.

Maybe a combination of them not being aired so much and not being as popular. I think 'AH Hot mum' was very good but if I had to pick on to take to a desert island with me I'd take Dad's Army. 'You Rang My Lord' is up there as one of my favourites but I don't think it was anywhere near as popular as Dad's Army. It's appeal is probably less universal as Dad's army as YRML is perhaps even more satirical. I read somewhere it was not aired as much either due to the episodes being longer than the traditional sitcom time which made it awquard for programming. It is more of a serial too - whereas Dad's Army episodes tend to stand alone more. And for some reason I think Dad's Army just has that certain extra something that makes people love and remember it. it would be impossible for all sitcoms to have that and I don't think they need to to be excellent sitcoms in their own right. That's what I always say, anyway.

I suppose you could argue till the cows come home as to exactly what should be the final catchphrase list. However, I think we seem to have recalled the main ones.

Another repeated phrase is:

"What a pretty name." (Repeated a few times in one episode, but I think it might be used in one or more other episode to.)

"I'll tell Mum!" (Pike)

I saw Ian Lavender (Pike) in an old episode of 'Good night sweetheart'last night. He played Gary's son. I thought his acting was very good, as he played the same character but in parallel universes so the expressions of the same character were very different. I also observed that the actor who play Gary's father in an earlier episode of Good Night SH also played Mr Foster the PE teacher in the very first episode of Grange Hill.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ August 12 2010, 3:16 AM BST

Maybe a combination of them not being aired so much and not being as popular. I think 'AH Hot mum' was very good but if I had to pick on to take to a desert island with me I'd take Dad's Army. 'You Rang My Lord' is up there as one of my favourites but I don't think it was anywhere near as popular as Dad's Army. It's appeal is probably less universal as Dad's army as YRML is perhaps even more satirical. I read somewhere it was not aired as much either due to the episodes being longer than the traditional sitcom time which made it awquard for programming. It is more of a serial too - whereas Dad's Army episodes tend to stand alone more. And for some reason I think Dad's Army just has that certain extra something that makes people love and remember it. it would be impossible for all sitcoms to have that and I don't think they need to to be excellent sitcoms in their own right. That's what I always say, anyway.

I suppose you could argue till the cows come home as to exactly what should be the final catchphrase list. However, I think we seem to have recalled the main ones.

Another repeated phrase is:

"What a pretty name." (Repeated a few times in one episode, but I think it might be used in one or more other episode to.)

"I'll tell Mum!" (Pike)

I saw Ian Lavender (Pike) in an old episode of 'Good night sweetheart'last night. He played Gary's son. I thought his acting was very good, as he played the same character but in parallel universes so the expressions of the same character were very different. I also observed that the actor who play Gary's father in an earlier episode of Good Night SH also played Mr Foster the PE teacher in the very first episode of Grange Hill.

I loved You Rang M'Lord when I was a kid, but on a recent DVD viewing, though still funny, wasn't half as good I didn't think. That's probably the reason why it isn't repeated as much, it isn't that funny anymore. 'It Aint Half Hot Mum' on the otherhand, despite being no 'Dad's Army' is still very funny in my opinion.
And yes, I recently watched that episode of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' and it was very sound acting.