Question about Only Fools Series 4

I can't remember where I read it, I think it might have been in a book about David Jason or somewhere else but I'm sure it said that the last episode in the 4th series was to be Hole In One. It said Grandad had already filmed all of the episodes but he died on the morning he was due to shoot the final scenes of the episode Hole In One, where he is in the wheelchair. I wasn't sure if that was right though? They had an entire series minus around five minutes that Grandad had completed? If this is true, why did they scrap it and re-write it all? Why not make Albert join on the final episode and end the series with Strained Relations? Does anyone know if the episodes still exist? Just some light on the subject or some better knowledge would be appreciated... :D

Never heard of it

It sounds like one of them dodgy fan rumours, bit like people always going on about a 13th episode of Fawlty Towers that doesn't exist.

It's probably just a myth. They would have released them by now, the BBC know how to milk their cash cows.

Quote: David Carmon @ August 4 2010, 12:19 AM BST

Never heard of it

It sounds like one of them dodgy fan rumours, bit like people always going on about a 13th episode of Fawlty Towers that doesn't exist.

It's probably just a myth. They would have released them by now, the BBC know how to milk their cash cows.

How did I know you'd be first to reply to this.. :D I did think about that, I'll try to find the book or the source but it was a while ago. So Hole In One was meant to be the first episode originally?...

No idea, I don't even know which episode that is lols

But at a guess it sounds like a daft rumour.

With the BBC needing more money and always exploiting every successful show to the death,

Doctor Who

Only Fools and Horses

Torchwood

Strictly Come Dancing

EastEnders

there's no well in Hells fire that they would let an unbroadcast episode (never mind nearly whole series) of Only Fools and Horses lie around in the vaults gathering dust when they coud put them on a DVD and watch Graham Norton's wages be paid in full from the profits it would make them.

Quote: Shepka @ August 4 2010, 12:13 AM BST

I can't remember where I read it, I think it might have been in a book about David Jason or somewhere else but I'm sure it said that the last episode in the 4th series was to be Hole In One. It said Grandad had already filmed all of the episodes but he died on the morning he was due to shoot the final scenes of the episode Hole In One, where he is in the wheelchair. I wasn't sure if that was right though? They had an entire series minus around five minutes that Grandad had completed? If this is true, why did they scrap it and re-write it all? Why not make Albert join on the final episode and end the series with Strained Relations? Does anyone know if the episodes still exist? Just some light on the subject or some better knowledge would be appreciated... :D

That clears something up that's been bothering me for years. In the Only Fools and Horses scriptbook, there is a picture from the scripted episode at the beginning of each script and for 'Hole in One' it was a picture of Grandad in a wheelchair.

I am pretty sure I read that the actor had filmed some of the exterior location footage for the series, which was obviously done in advance so it could be shown at the appropriate moment when the remaining scenes for each episode were being filmed in front of a studio audience. I also gather that the BBC usually tried to shoot all of the location material in one go, before filming any individual episodes in the studio. I believe that the actor died during this initial period of location shooting, and so did not take part in any live studio recordings for series 4. As such, he did not complete a 'full' episode, and so it would have been difficult to incorporate the existing scenes into a coherent storyline.

I'm sure I've read this somewhere too. I have an OFAH book somewhere knocking about. I'll have to dig it out but I'm pretty certain that's what it says.

I know all about this, so I will proceed to enlighten you. :D

'Hole In One' was meant to be the first episode in Series 4. The exterior scene outside the court was filmed in December '84. Then Leonard Pierce died. The director Ray Butt - knowing that, now the series was a success, the footage of Leonard Pierce would be dug up by someone at a later date - personally destroyed the footage. He is quoted as saying this, so it isn't speculation.

Quote: Dave @ August 4 2010, 7:34 PM BST

I know all about this, so I will proceed to enlighten you. :D

'Hole In One' was meant to be the first episode in Series 4. The exterior scene outside the court was filmed in December '84. Then Leonard Pierce died. The director Ray Butt - knowing that, now the series was a success, the footage of Leonard Pierce would be dug up by someone at a later date - personally destroyed the footage. He is quoted as saying this, so it isn't speculation.

So the location footage that was shot for this episode, is now destroyed? Thanks mate, that clears things up. :)

Reading this thread prompted me to watch 'Strained Relations' this evening.

Have to admit to a tear in the eye.

But, what a piece of comedy writing.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 5 2010, 12:01 AM BST

Reading this thread prompted me to watch 'Strained Relations' this evening.

Have to admit to a tear in the eye.

But, what a piece of comedy writing.

OFAH was great for that. Del and Rodney in the lift when Cassandra's had a miscarriage is a perfect example.

I did read somewhere that the only original footage of "Hole In One" that was broadcast was when Mike is looking up out of the cellar doors. He's in fact looking at Leonard Pearce and not Uncle Albert, as later edited.

Quote: Lost Boys @ August 5 2010, 3:49 PM BST

I did read somewhere that the only original footage of "Hole In One" that was broadcast was when Mike is looking up out of the cellar doors. He's in fact looking at Leonard Pearce and not Uncle Albert, as later edited.

"Lennard"

>_<

I've just had a thought (it happens once a year; sometimes I miss it). If Grandad had been in 'Hole In One', wouldn't that make the plot (Grandad lying about his health to gain compensation in some way) be almost identical to 'Homesick', when he pretended he was bedridden so they could move into a bungalow?

Quote: Lost Boys @ August 5 2010, 3:49 PM BST

I don't recall the exact scene, but surely he would have been looking at a camera, not Lennard?