Most annoying comedy catchphrase Page 4

Welcome to site by the way Mr. Numpty.

And Fianna Fail is an Irish political party.

My friend Ricki who's actually a proper farmer down in Devon will say "Where's The Badger" when he can't find something (in his strong devonshire accent).

Quote: Nogget @ July 28 2010, 7:42 PM BST

Well that's the whole point of catchphrases, they are intended to become funny through repetition.

Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered

By Jove you're right! It's hysterical! LOL and all that.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ July 29 2010, 12:57 PM BST

Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered Am I bovvered

By Jove you're right! It's hysterical! LOL and all that.

It's the way you tell 'em.

To be fair, I only said they are *intended* to become funny through repetition. Whether they succeed or not is another issue, and a matter of personal preference. You do accept that tastes vary, don't you? And do you accept that some people find repetition funny? If so, you can't criticise a catchphrase for the fact that it gets repeated. Personally, I've never laughed at 'am I bovvered', but not because it gets repeated, but because it's repeated lazily and to poor effect, imo.

Oi Griff, we'll have no trouble here.

Quote: The Numpty @ July 29 2010, 11:41 AM BST

The most annoying catchphrase for me and to be honest my cousin uses it a lot and that's "Epic Fail" can someone please tell me what in the blue hell does "Epic Fail" mean does it mean that you have failed impressively

Yes it mains that you have failed in the most extraordinary way. Epic Fail is an internet meme, and originated in the online gaming community (as many things do nowerdays). I recommend you do a Google image search for Epic Fail.. it will explain a lot. I am sure you will find some genuinely hillarious pictures on there.

WE DIDN'T BURN HIM.

Sorry- not a catchphrase, but it IS the best LoG of them all..

Quote: Nogget @ July 29 2010, 1:28 PM BST

It's the way you tell 'em.

To be fair, I only said they are *intended* to become funny through repetition. Whether they succeed or not is another issue, and a matter of personal preference. You do accept that tastes vary, don't you? And do you accept that some people find repetition funny? If so, you can't criticise a catchphrase for the fact that it gets repeated. Personally, I've never laughed at 'am I bovvered', but not because it gets repeated, but because it's repeated lazily and to poor effect, imo.

No no I see your point, I should have said originally why it annoyed me the audience always laughed - because it was always a catchphrase that had the sketch written around it, which I hate. Like you say, it's lazy. I do agree repetition can be funny, I like Stewart Lee. I do agree repetition can be funny, I like Stewart Lee.

As for the League catchphrases, well of course they're brilliant! :P The reason they work though is that the sketches they're in never feel like they were written just for the sake of saying the catchphrase - and there's that great bit in series 3 where Papa's "You're my wife now" gets cut off.

You're not sat waiting for the character to say their catchphrase, you're just enjoying the sketch.

'am I bovvered'! Omg, THE most annoying one I reckon.

Quote: roystonpoisoner @ July 29 2010, 11:14 PM BST

'am I bovvered'! Omg, THE most annoying one I reckon.

No, OMG is.

Oh em gee.

Quote: Ben @ July 28 2010, 4:46 PM BST

Was that during your 'not owning a TV' phase?

Ah, the days when I was 'keeping it real'. Or something.

The most annoying catchphrase has to be Ritchie Hamstring's:

"Now then, don't get lachrymose!"

Anyone here old enough to remember people in School saying "thats you that is"