Sherlock Page 6

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 25 2010, 11:23 PM BST

I reckon one of the characters we've already seen will turn out to be Moriaty. Mycroft's dumbo assistant perhaps?

How dare you refer to the woman I love and will one day marry as a dumbo! Good point, though. Although I don't think any of the characters we've met so far are Moriarty in disguise. I think we'll meet him next ep.

Quote: David Carmon @ July 26 2010, 12:31 AM BST

To me the forensic side of things was irrelevant (not spelt right?). It was more his accuracy and speed at which he could solve things, much faster than lab tests or police checks in some cases.

Exactly; plus he would spot things that wouldn't be looked for or noticed in a forensic test.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 26 2010, 9:02 AM BST

Exactly; plus he would spot things that wouldn't be looked for or noticed in a forensic test.

Don't let Gil Grissom hear you say that!

Really enjoyed "Sherlock" last night, thought the two leads, Freeman and Cumberbatch (?) were truly excellent and most of the support actors were good too (although I wasn't too keen on Le Strade, I thought he should've been a bit older, maybe more world weary, he just seemed a bit wishywashy to me).

Overall I loved it though, thought the little references to the old Holmes books were a nice touch (particularly the reference to it being a "three patch problem"). Gattiss was a little bit hammy as Mycroft but that added to the show rather than subtracting (I got a real sense of Steed from the Avengers when he was stood there with his umbrella, all he was missing was the bowler hat).

The only other slight problem for me was that me and my fiancee both realized it was the cabbie quite a while before Holmes did, oh and also, surely both capsules were deadly, or was I missing something?

All in all though, top stuff. I realized that last night was the first time I'd watched BBC1 for anything other than the World Cup in about 3 months, good to see that they can still produce some quality drama.

Quote: Aaron @ July 26 2010, 1:56 AM BST

Amongst writer types perhaps. With Benidorm under his belt, I'd opt for Pemberton.

I thought it was wonderful.

Yeah Pemby is on TV the most, I'd say.

Absolutely loved it, thought I'd get a bit bored but it held my attention throughout. Did anyone else think The Princess Bride at the end with the pills?

I found it hard to hear. Was it the old saw that both pills were poisoned and the cabby was immune?

I liked how the "drugs bust" hinted at Sherlock's opium addiction.

No. We were just meant to buy that he was also a 'genius' and could subtly read and manipulate people, ensuring that they always took the poisoned one.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 26 2010, 12:27 AM BST

But the idea that in these days of forensic science the police will call in an amateur is a stretching the willing suspension of disbelief a bit.

TV is awash with genius amateurs turning up in cop shows (Monk, the Mentalist, Tim Roth doing something or other) and I liked the line about Sherlock being a madman who doesn't get paid.

An exciting frenetic performance from Benedict whassisname and surprisingly little re-invention of Holmes' character. Not sure about Sherlock 'danger addict' Holmes' clean and on the nicotine patches though. Daily Mail readers like a bit of Victorian values so stick him back on morphine and coke(or are they trying for US network sale).

Glad it wasn't a time travel concept as he is a bit too Dr Who and Adam Adamant as it is(although not a bad thing though).

Apart from the Basil Rathbone Vs the Nazis, I seemed to remember Roger Moore hamming it up in modern day New York in a deer stalker in some piffle.

That's bloody stupid.

This was as much to do with Sherlock Holmes as hats are related to cats. Intricate plots and subtle menace are swopped. For a bargain basement Dr Who and idiotic plots.

Sometimes the BBC produces such utter tripe that I welcome its demise.

This may be the only programme to be improved by having Captain Jack as the Phantom bummer of Old London Town.

Quote: sootyj @ July 26 2010, 12:06 PM BST

Yes, because ITV and Sky produce much better programmes don't they?

I enjoyed "Sherlock" and bah humbug to anyone who didn't.

;)

Quote: youngian @ July 26 2010, 12:04 PM BST

(or are they trying for US network sale).

It was a co-production.

This may be the only programme to be improved by having Captain Jack as the Phantom bummer of Old London Town.

It's sootyj vs the rest of the universe.

And as ever the rest of the universe is wrong and I will patiently wait for it to come to it's senses.

This Holmes is a sadist, Watson shot someone (which never happened in any of the books).

WATSON
I say Holmes every victim took the same cab.

HOLMES
Yes even in these precomputerised days you'd think that'd be a bit obvious.

WATSON
But how did the demon cabby force the poor unfortunates to take their lives.

HOLMES
By being working class and having poor dentistry.

WATSON
That makes no sense what's so ever.

HOLMES
No nor does me texting everyone like I'm some twat in Ndubs. Where's my opium pipe?

Entertaining stuff. I was a little peeved when Gatiss popped up unannounced, seemingly as The Master John Steed Moriarty, but felt a little better when his true identity was later revealed.

That's bloody stupid.

This was as much to do with Sherlock Holmes as hats are related to cats. Intricate plots and subtle menace are swopped. For a bargain basement Dr Who and idiotic plots.

It was great I thought, don't know what you're complaining about. Anyway, if you don't like this one there'll be another version of Holmes along before too long.