Sherlock Page 5

Quote: chipolata @ July 25 2010, 10:46 PM BST

That's not what I said. Talent wise none really stands out on his own.

Gatiss seems more his own man than the others, he's done a lot more and written a lot more stuff outside of the group. I'd say he's by far the most high profile. Though of course they're all great.

Quote: zooo @ July 25 2010, 10:38 PM BST

I was worried it might be boring, at that length. But it was so gooooood.

I thought it was good but a mite too long. One other quibble, there were a few too many moments when Holmes showed us his brilliant deductive powers. Could get tiresome if they overplay that. Good stuff overall, though.

Quote: chipolata @ July 25 2010, 10:50 PM BST

I thought it was good but a mite too long. One other quibble, there were a few too many moments when Holmes showed us his brilliant deductive powers. Could get tiresome if they overplay that. Good stuff overall, though.

Hm, probably just because it's the first episode, though. He was a pretty perfect Holmes, I thought.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 25 2010, 10:49 PM BST

Gatiss seems more his own man than the others, he's done a lot more and written a lot more stuff outside of the group. I'd say he's by far the most high profile. Though of course they're all great.

I'm glad Gatiss wasn't Moriarty. They need a heavyweight proper actor for that.

Quote: chipolata @ July 25 2010, 10:52 PM BST

Yeah, he's far too arch to be the big bad.

Quote: chipolata @ July 25 2010, 10:52 PM BST

Richard Griffiths?

I thought Gatiss's assistant very tasty.

You like the treat 'em mean type.

Quote: zooo @ July 25 2010, 11:14 PM BST

You like the treat 'em mean type.

;)

I reckon one of the characters we've already seen will turn out to be Moriaty. Mycroft's dumbo assistant perhaps?

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 25 2010, 11:23 PM BST

I reckon one of the characters we've already seen will turn out to be Moriaty. Mycroft's dumbo assistant perhaps?

Oh. Interesting.

I really liked it. I couldn't stop watching it.

Makes a change, something different.

My overall impression of the show was favourable. Some annoyances such as the overuse of texting and the 'are they gay' subtext. Also the Gatiss reveal as Mycroft could have been left to a later episode to keep the audience guessing.
The basic plot was very strong and some of Holmes' deductions would have had even Conan Doyle applauding.
Surprisingly I missed the smoggy Victorian atmosphere much less than expected. But the idea that in these days of forensic science the police will call in an amateur is a stretching the willing suspension of disbelief a bit.

To me the forensic side of things was irrelevant (not spelt right?). It was more his accuracy and speed at which he could solve things, much faster than lab tests or police checks in some cases.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 25 2010, 10:49 PM BST

Gatiss ... I'd say he's by far the most high profile.

Amongst writer types perhaps. With Benidorm under his belt, I'd opt for Pemberton.

I thought it was wonderful.