Not Going Out - Series 4 Page 8

I don't feel disconnected from Lee and Tim. They have little moments of pathos etc. Just not very many, which I think would lessen the effect and turn it into one of those cringey Friends episodes, where they forget it's a comedy, and start being all emotional and creepy.

I understand the lack of depth from the characters (it has certainly been better in the Lee-Lucy storylines) but that's the whole point. I watch it primarily cos I know it's full of one-liners. In fact, it's the most consistent for lots of laughs.

Even if the storyline is barely set in reality (like this episode) you know you are guaranteed a lot more laughs. I certainly suspend my disbelief a little further for this due to knowing there will be some excellent gags somewhere along the way. It didn't fail to disappoint, despite them killing someone (I think?).

It's pretty unique in this regard, certainly at present where a lot of sitcoms seem firmly rooted in reality rather than loosening the boundaries a bit (as Miranda has also done). (I'm not having a go at the 'in reality' stuff, just mentioning that it's nice not to just have that all the time.)

Excellent start. Keep it coming.

Dan

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2011, 2:40 PM GMT

I don't feel disconnected from Lee and Tim. They have little moments of pathos etc. Just not very many, which I think would lessen the effect and turn it into one of those cringey Friends episodes, where they forget it's a comedy, and start being all emotional and creepy.

I don't think it needs to be a sad/dramatic kind of empathy or that it needs to take up a big part of this show. But sometimes it does look like we're watching a script read-through/rehearsal. I just believe there is a better way to deliver this type of comedy, maybe in a Police Squad kind of way, I don't know?

Quote: swerytd @ January 7 2011, 2:49 PM GMT

It didn't fail to disappoint, despite them killing someone (I think?).

I'd have to watch it back, but I don't think he died- just injured. How much damage could a staple gun do?!

Btw, if they did get 4.7m viewers like I've heard they have, that's fantastic for them- and great little kick at the BBC for having cancelled it in the first place. Hope they can keep it up.

Was it a nail gun or a staple gun?

I'm pretty sure it was a nail gun.

Well it's the funniest thing I've seen on the telly for a long time, and it was consistently funny right up to the end, with a few throwaway bits which I love, like the pig hanging up in Lee's bedroom at the end.

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2011, 2:24 PM GMT

NGO is the only show I can't think of where every other line is a joke. This show doesn't have the same depth as Peep Show and it's not because it's not been on as long but the characters are quite one dimensional. So I don't think there is much of a bond between the characters and audience. The redeeming feature is that Lee for example is err lovable in a kind of way that he sees everything as a joke but I don't see much empathy there. So it doesn't hook me in enough and it never really picks up for me. It's like watching a stand up you don't connect with, which is odd because both Lee and Tim are excellent stand-ups. But that's just me.

I find the exact opposite: I love Not Going Out, but just can't connect with Peep Show. Despite the odd laugh, it invariably leaves me feeling cold.

Quote: Lindyloop @ January 7 2011, 5:21 PM GMT

I'd have to watch it back, but I don't think he died- just injured. How much damage could a staple gun do?!

It was a nail gun (as others said), and he did die.

Died? Injured? nail gun? staple gun?

Who cares? Just a funny, funny show. Shouldn't really be over-analysed in my opinion. True, the characters will probably not be looked back on in years to come with the type of affection that Del Boy/Basil Fawlty etc received, but I doubt that this is the aim of the Lee Mack. He's a stand up and it does appear the script is written after the jokes - but personally I couldn't care less. I can see where some purists might be critical of perhaps a contrived nature - but nearly 5m punters watched it and that will probably increase now.

I'ts very mainstream and reminds me very much of (generally) succesful 1970s and 80s formulaic approach to making people laugh by simply establishing a muddle - then trying to sort it out.

It will always get more viewers than say Peep Show (which I love) simply because it's now on BBC One and Peep Show is on Channel 4. It's a bit like comparing apples with pears - the genre is different and the exposure is too.

Give me this anyday to some of the pretentious arty-comedy that we seem to see more and more of these days.

Quote: Aaron @ January 7 2011, 8:11 PM GMT

It was a nail gun (as others said), and he did die.

What? Really? That is just dumb. I assumed he was just injured. If he died, when will we have an episode about Daisy's arrest and trial? You can't get away with that level of implausibility, no matter how heightened the reality.

I do like the show, and I'm very pleased it's back. I accept it often revolves around a lot of implausible things happening, but I thought this particular episode stretched plausibility beyond its limit.

At the end of the show, Lee said the police were letting them all off. (Or something, can't remember exactly.)

Quote: zooo @ January 7 2011, 9:10 PM GMT

At the end of the show, Lee said the police were letting them all off. (Or something, can't remember exactly.)

Oh that's all right then. You always get let off for killing people.

I kind of remember Lee saying something but I had assumed it was a let off for injuring the guy, not killing him.

I don't think he died, he was still twitching. Just very badly hurt, as 'e woz ard 'n' that.

Yeah, that was my only problem with the show; the wild use of the nail gun (and its effect). The closing discussion when Lee and Lucy were sat on the sofa explained how the police had let them off when realising how stupid they (particularly Daisy) were that it couldn't have been planned.

Quote: Griff @ January 7 2011, 8:38 PM GMT

I don't enjoy this show. I can't get past the "oh it's not really a story and these aren't really meant to resemble real characters, it's all just a framework to slot jokes into", well in that case, don't bother then, just stand up and tell jokes, I'd enjoy that, you're good at it. But if I'm going to watch sitcom I want characters I care about. I don't even care if they're completely mad characters like in Psychoville, at least they intrigue and interest me. Not Going Out feels like someone acting out a story about something hilarious their mates did, their mates who you've never met but they insist on going on about all the time.

Spot on.