Not Going Out - Series 4 Page 7

I enjoyed it very much. Glad it's back.

I felt so stupid for not the getting Railway Children joke. Then Daisy came back and corrected herself... Laughing out loud

A bit too contrived to be really enjoyable. And the character of Daisy isn't consistent enough in her stupidity to convince. Glad it's back though.

The funniest programme on televsion by far, really reminded me just how damned good it is. Cannot argue with the previous comments regarding the nail gun (particularly her killing Larry and then apparently hitting but not killing Lee or Tim), but otherwise wondeful. Very funny throughout.

2 classic moments. When Daisy walks into the wardrobe and um......

I wish this were funnier. Some of the lines were about as witty as a BCG pun-fest.

Everything tells me this show should be one of my favourite things on TV, but something is not working. Maybe it's too contrived, like Badge noted.

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2011, 4:58 AM GMT

I wish this were funnier. Some of the lines were about as witty as a BCG pun-fest.

Everything tells me this show should be one of my favourite things on TV, but something is not working. Maybe it's too contrived, like Badge noted.

Agreed.

Some of the lines were about as witty as a BCG pun-fest.

>_<

That might be the most damning thing I've ever read on these boards.

I know comedy is subjective but IMHO it's the funniest thing on telly, so many of the lines are very funny and well written, yes, some of the gags are a bit shoe-horned in but that's the style of the show and seeing as it's written by several stand ups (Lee Mack, Paul Kerensa, Dave Cohen, Simon Evans and Milton Jones) and stars two comedians, that's hardly surprising.

I laughed out loud at least 4 or 5 times during the 28 minutes, which is what I want from a comedy programme.

Quote: EllieJP @ January 7 2011, 9:12 AM GMT

Agreed.

Agree with what she agreed with.

From a quick fire gag show is 4 or 5 times enough?

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2011, 1:53 PM GMT

From a quick fire gag show is 4 or 5 times enough?

Yes, as I'm talking about 4 or 5 proper belly laughs, not just a bit of a smile and a little laugh (which I did pretty much through the entire show).

What other show has that sort of hit rate? Peep Show and Miranda are about the only other comedy shows on at the moment that actually make me properly laugh.

I enjoyed it - some great laughs in there. It was great to have it back.

I was a bit disappointed in the ending though, I'm surprised they went with something so ludicrous really.

It got 4.7m viewers though which I think is as good as it's ever got?

NGO is the only show I can't think of where every other line is a joke. This show doesn't have the same depth as Peep Show and it's not because it's not been on as long but the characters are quite one dimensional. So I don't think there is much of a bond between the characters and audience. The redeeming feature is that Lee for example is err lovable in a kind of way that he sees everything as a joke but I don't see much empathy there. So it doesn't hook me in enough and it never really picks up for me. It's like watching a stand up you don't connect with, which is odd because both Lee and Tim are excellent stand-ups. But that's just me.

Quote: Leevil @ January 7 2011, 2:24 PM GMT

NGO is the only show I can't think of where every other line is a joke. This show doesn't have the same depth as Peep Show and it's not because it's not been on as long but the characters are quite one dimensional. So I don't think there is much of a bond between the characters and audience. The redeeming feature is that Lee for example is err lovable in a kind of way that he see's everything as a joke but I don't see much empathy there. So it doesn't hook me in enough and it never really picks up for me. It's like watching a stand up you don't connect with, which is odd because both Lee and Tim are excellent stand ups. But that's just me.

I take your points and can see why this "disconnect" could be a problem for people, the entire set up of the show is to serve the jokes rather than most sitcoms which are the other way round.

It's very much a sitcom written by a load of stand ups and as a joke loving stand up myself (*name dropping alert* and as someone who knows Tim, Lee, Simon and Paul reasonably well) I'm probably more than a bit biased.

I accept that it lacks a bit of the depth of many other shows but for out and out laughs there's few other sitcoms I'd chose over NGO.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 7 2011, 2:28 PM GMT

I take your points and can see why this "disconnect" could be a problem for people, the entire set up of the show is to serve the jokes rather than most sitcoms which are the other way round.

It's very much a sitcom written by a load of stand ups and as a joke loving stand up myself (*name dropping alert* and as someone who knows Tim, Lee, Simon and Paul reasonably well) I'm probably more than a bit biased.

I accept that it lacks a bit of the depth of many other shows but for out and out laughs there's few other sitcoms I'd chose over NGO.

It probably has good repeat value as you can pick random episodes and dive right in, plus you can get jokes you may have missed first time 'round. Don't get me wrong there are some good gags in this and I did laugh on several occasions but I still think that it could be written or maybe even performed better. Which I hate saying as I love the people in the show.