The Army Game Page 2

Doing a bit of research about what happened to the main players, found out that Bill Fraser (who I think is great!) was married to Pamela Cundell of Mrs Fox fame, who used lean over Jones' butcher counter with her ample bosoms and ask him if she had enough. Laughing out loud Never fails with me.

The only thing I can't find anything about is who the pretty girl is who features either side of the advert break and as it happens is slap bang in the middle of the thread photo above, just to the left of Bill Fraser and in between the two suited producers (?)

Real long shot here, but does anyone know? No mention of her on the IMDb.

She opens and closes the NAAFI hatch, IIRC? Would need to find an episode where she's actually featured as a speaking character in order to work out who she is.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd April 2019, 11:51 AM

She opens and closes the NAAFI hatch, IIRC? Would need to find an episode where she's actually featured as a speaking character in order to work out who she is.

Yes, precisely and each one is different I've noticed. It usually features her (with a lovely cute smile Lovey) handing out a large metal jug (of tea?), then getting it back after the break, sometimes handed to her by a squaddie.

Well we live in hope for the speaking part, but then would she have not had an entry in the IMDb of the full cast? There are a lot of course and it's fascinating to see who was in it at any one time.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd April 2019, 12:04 PM

Well we live in hope for the speaking part, but then would she have not had an entry in the IMDb of the full cast? There are a lot of course and it's fascinating to see who was in it at any one time.

No. First point is the massive inconsistency and gaps of IMDb. Aside from that, it was not uncommon in the period for smaller-part actors to go completely uncredited. Those who didn't speak definitely wouldn't get their name on screen, and are still unlikely to today.

To identify her, of the cast Frank Williams is the only one still alive of course (standing between Bill Fraser and Harry Fowler) and some of the younger crew could well still be alive including the girl..........................Rolling eyes

The bar at the Connaught Theatre in Worthing is called "Fraser's Bar" in honour of Bill Fraser, who ran the repertory company there before the war. Appropriately, I took afternoon tea with Frank Williams there after a talk he gave at the theatre a couple of years ago. When I visited the Dad's Army Museum in Thetford last week I was told that Frank Williams is tragically virtually blind now.

Alma Cogan (who has been mentioned recently on another thread) also began her career at the Connaught Theatre.

Always liked Bill Fraser, and he was someone who helped many a comedian on the way up, for example buying jokes off Eric Sykes for a fiver when Eric was penniless, even though Bill didn't need them.

Being someone who suffers with my eyesight, such a shame about Frank Williams. :(

I finally finished my box-set of The Army Game, and the last disc, which is basically Series 4, was to be honest, abysmal. I won't list everything wrong with it - everything was poor.

There were two key factors that made it die a death though. William Hartnell as the CSM instead of Bill Fraser and Dick Emery who was the "replacement" for Alfie Bass. The spark simply wasn't there. The CO was played by somebody different and even the very pretty NAAFI girl who featured each side of the ad break was replaced.

They should have finished it on a high when they got to the end of Series 3.