The Army Game

The Army Game was a sitcom that aired on ITV from 1957 to 1961. It was a black-and-white series about National Service conscription to the post-war British Army. It was created by Sid Colin. It starred Charles Hawtrey, William Hartnell, Bernard Bresslaw, Alfie Bass, Frank Williams, Harry Fowler, Bill Fraser, Ted Lune and Dick Emery and many more.

I would like to know more about this series as I am quite tempted to buy the complete collection of the 50 remaining episodes. What do people remember of this or who's seen it and enjoyed it?

I've seen a couple of episodes that are included in the volume one set (not got around to watching the lot yet) and enjoyed them. The 'complete' collection is a great deal at Amazon right now:

See Amazon product listing

Don't forget that the first series of spin-off Bootsie And Snudge is also available.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=The+Army+Game

I vaguely remember it on telly first time around and the 'spin-off' (what did we call 'spin-offs' in those days?) Bootsie & Snudge was a big favourite in our house.

I might get Bootsie & Snudge too after I get The Army Game. Clive Dunn stars in Bootsie & Sundge doesn't he?

Yes.

By the way Aaron. Your merchandise page for The Army Game says the complete collection features the remaining 60 episodes but the DVD art work says it's 50.

Thanks.

Most others say 8 discs and some are cheaper e.g.

http://www.zavvi.com/dvd/the-army-game-complete-series-boxset/9984168.html

Interesting. I wonder if we start talking about other DVDs, they'll drop in price?

(It's definitely only 6 discs.)

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 18 2010, 1:07 AM BST

Most others say 8 discs and some are cheaper e.g.

http://www.zavvi.com/dvd/the-army-game-complete-series-boxset/9984168.html

:) Thanks for that. I'll get it here as it's £5 cheaper than Amazon.

Another interesting sounding event at the Cinema Museum in London

=================

An Evening with Michael Medwin
Thu 8 Nov 2012 @ 19:30 · Events

Michael Medwin will be in conversation with BFI curator Jo Botting. A mainstay of British films from the 1940s-60s such as Above Us the Waves and The Longest Day, he had key TV roles in The Army Game and Shoestring, and was producer for Charlie Bubbles and Lindsay Anderson's If and O Lucky Man!

More details to follow!

Doors open at 18.30 for a 19.30 start, and the event is expected to end at 22.30. Refreshments will be available. http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/2012/an-evening-with-michael-medwin/#more-9620

Just started watching this as have a vague memory of it on my parents Radio Rentals set the late 50s and still find it funny, and as I bought it off eBay for only £6 (!) am quite chuffed.

Only gripe is the first three episodes are not in the right order!! Grrrr! You'd think someone would take responsibility for this - Harry Towb who I see was only in 7 episodes is in the "first two" on disc one then appears in episode three as a new recruit. >_<

But the star for me was Bill Fraser - a gem of a comedy actor and somebody has appeared in many biographies I have read about comic actors/comedians/script writers who were helped on their way by his generosity. Lovely man.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th February 2019, 3:31 PM

Only gripe is the first three episodes are not in the right order!! Grrrr! You'd think someone would take responsibility for this - Harry Towb who I see was only in 7 episodes is in the "first two" on disc one then appears in episode three as a new recruit. >_<

They are presented in the correct broadcast order: the switch was made at the time of original broadcast in 1959.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th March 2019, 4:50 PM

They are presented in the correct broadcast order: the switch was made at the time of original broadcast in 1959.

Yes, I subsequently noticed that on the IMDb - how odd.

Watched "Happy New Year" yesterday and great (and odd) to see a young Fulton Mackay and Geoffrey Palmer (in a bit part as a Red Cap), AND although not credited in the IMDb I'm sure I saw a young Tony Booth in the background amongst a group of squaddies.