Peter Sellers - 30th anniversary of death Page 3

Quote: Kenneth @ July 18 2010, 1:30 PM BST

I thought it was cuddly Dudley Moore who was more known for Ringo Starr-esque episodes of domestic violence toward his last wife, Nicole Rothschild, though she was said to have been just as brutal.

They both were involved in episodes on domestic violence.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 18 2010, 1:23 PM BST

He was not very pleasant in real life, but that doesn't detract from his talent. If the BBC airs a tribute show to him, no need to ignore the fact that his behaviour was often imperfect.

All they need to do is show the film they made in 2004 as an extra, that pretty much condemned the man, AND it was based on a disputed biographical novel. No one doubts he was an odd and difficult man to work with and live with, but then geniuses often are aren't they?

"...geniuses often are aren't they..."

Hummm not all probably just as many as normal people , but bad behaviour might well get reported or more remembered. There's a romantic idea that a genius should be difficult and some live up to it. On Sellers I'm not all that keen, I enjoyed the Pink Panther films at the time and I guess The Goons, but what else has stood the test of time? (isn't just a historical curiosity)

Quote: sidecar jon @ July 18 2010, 9:30 PM BST

On Sellers I'm not all that keen, I enjoyed the Pink Panther films at the time and I guess The Goons, but what else has stood the test of time? (isn't just a historical curiosity)

Being There, Lolita and Dr. Strangelove to name but three.

Quote: sidecar jon @ July 18 2010, 9:30 PM BST

On sellers im not all that keen, I enjoyed the Pink Panther films at the time and I guess the Goons, but what else has stood the test of time? (isn't just a historical curiosity)

Murder By Death, There's A Girl In My Soup, Dr Strangelove, The Party, Battle of the Sexes, I'm All Right Jack.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 18 2010, 9:43 PM BST

I'm All Right Jack.

I still haven't seen that although I've seen clips.

After Dr Strangelove and the early Panther films, his best is The Ladykillers.

Quote: chipolata @ July 18 2010, 9:58 PM BST

After Dr Strangelove and the early Panther films, his best is The Ladykillers.

I <3 The Ladykillers. It was like Guinness was handing over the comedy mantle to Sellers in that film.

Quote: James Cotter @ July 18 2010, 9:59 PM BST

I <3 The Ladykillers. It was like Guinness was handing over the comedy mantle to Sellers in that film.

Good film, but not really memorable as a great Peter Sellers film. I'm All Right Jack did more to showcase his talent (for playing a tough Cockney). You really should watch Murder By Death if you enjoy Guinness and Sellers (and David Niven and Peter Falk, and even Truman Capote).

Two Way Stretch is an excellent Sellers vehicle.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 18 2010, 10:08 PM BST

Good film, but not really memorable as a great Peter Sellers film. I'm All Right Jack did more to showcase his talent (for playing a tough Cockney). You really should watch Murder By Death if you enjoy Guinness and Sellers (and David Niven and Peter Falk, and even Truman Capote).

Just order The Peter Sellers Collection which has I'm Alright Jack. So I can judge for myself soon. I'll order Murder by Death next.

And his appearances on Sykes were funny too, if just for the corpsing.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 18 2010, 10:12 PM BST

Two Way Stretch is an excellent Seller's vehicle.

A mobile shop (e.g. ice-cream van) is an excellent seller's vehicle.

:D

The Wrong Arm Of The Law and After The Fox are also great.

Quote: James Cotter @ July 18 2010, 10:13 PM BST

I'll order Murder by Death next.

Have you seen Where Does It Hurt? (in which Sellers plays an unscrupulous hospital administrator)? Widely regarded as crap, I really enjoyed it, mainly because the Sellers character is so unpleasant and politically incorrect, with great lines to condescendingly dismiss the affirmative action of the day for Asians, blacks and gays. And the theme song is a merry little twangy jig, the unrequited love story lyrics of which have absolutely no relevance to the movie's plot. And there's a scene where Pat Morita does a Groucho Marx impression.