The gambling thread Page 28

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 5th December 2015, 10:58 PM GMT

Oh well.. had to end sometime.

Back to the grindstone.

Yeah, that was a shame. Kept hoping he'd come through for you.

How high can Leicester finish, do you think? A couple of weeks ago they were still offering 500/1 for the title, which obviously won't happen, but still seemed generous odds.

Conversely, wonder how low Chelsea will finish, and what's being offered.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 5th December 2015, 11:18 PM GMT

I don't know if you watched it George, but that first one-on-one chance he had? High-voltage electric chez moi..

..and he missed..

Ha!

Heard the Sky Sports News pundits at the time say he seemed nervous, and out of character. Also that he unselfishly played Mahrez in for the last goal.

I have 3 voices in my head.

(in no particular order)

One says: of course they can't win it - they're only Leicester;

Another says: of course they can win it - it's just clusters of numbers and everything is ever in flux - nothing is fixed.. and it's not unprecedented that a so-called 'unfancied' team has won the league.

33/1 with Paddy P. at time of posting.

That's a pretty dramatic slashing of odds over such a short period.

Spurs at 16/1 doesn't seem too shoddy.

(Palace at 750/1.)

*hears more voices*

Laughing out loud :D

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 22nd December 2015, 12:11 AM GMT

10/1 now.

Fixture list for Leicester is difficult though, lots of tough away games against the *big* teams to come. First half of the season, they played them all at home, so very lopsided distribution of fixtures.

At the same time, they have momentum and confidence right now, which can take you a long way.

I'd say (like a lot of people) that Arsenal seem like title favourites at the moment.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 5th December 2015, 11:08 PM GMT

How high can Leicester finish, do you think? A couple of weeks ago they were still offering 500/1 for the title, which obviously won't happen..

The good old days.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 25th March 2016, 1:57 PM GMT

The good old days.

Yes, I keep thinking about that! Why the hell didn't I at least put a couple of quid on it? Or a fiver? Or a tenner?

I must admit, hindsight and all that, as I wrote "which obviously won't happen", part of me was unsure.

At that time, Leicester were outscoring other teams, but letting in quite a few
goals in the process. Hardly ever kept a clean sheet. Hadn't anticipated that their defence would improve so much.

Also, the other title contenders had their big star players who would see them over the line. But Aguero and Sanchez in particular haven't come through, De Bruyne got injured, and Sterling has faded and seemed to play better when De Bruyne was around.

Then there was the Guardiola factor.

Had I put some dough on Leicester at the time, I wouldn't still have any fingernails...

My last bet was on Kane to get a hat-trick against Bournemouth last week at 16/1. Looked like a cert once he'd scored in 44 seconds, and then got a second on 16 mins, but wasn't to be...

Did you put anything on Leicester at 33/1?

Another excuse/thought as to why I didn't back them at 500/1 - I think the odds were so ludicrous that it felt idiotic to back them, like throwing money down the drain. If they'd been 100/1, I might have been more tempted.

Human psychology, eh! :)

That was before the turn of the year
Everyone expected them to fade out in the second half of the season.
Still 500/1 does seem high for a team top at that stage

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 30th March 2016, 7:06 AM BST

That was before the turn of the year
Everyone expected them to fade out in the second half of the season.
Still 500/1 does seem high for a team top at that stage

It was November (early, I think), so they weren't top yet, but they were challenging for the top four, and Mahrez and Vardy were on fire.

More Leicester stuff.

The highs -

Tom Hanks: I put money on Leicester City to win Premier League

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36140164

And the lows -

Punter loses 5p on bet on Foxes to win Premier League

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36154211

Anyone betting on the Euros (footy)?

I've got some small change on Top Goalscorer. Before the tournament started, got 40/1 on Pelle E/W, and 50/1 on Bale E/W. Pelle is now at 12/1 and Bale at 16/1.

Yesterday before the Iceland match, added Gylfi at 200/1 E/W.

Payet was 50/1 before the tournament started. 20/1 yesterday. 16/1 during today's match, and is now at 9/2, and the current favourite. Nearly added him today, but was put off by the drop from 20/1 to 16/1. :)

But maybe Hamsik is the new Payet at 50/1?

A bit startled to read that Torres won the Golden Boot last time with only 3 goals! 3-5 goals has been the norm in the last 4 Euros. Last 4 winners have all been central strikers, not attacking midfield players.

You'd figure Payet will score at least one free-kick, possibly more, so with 2 goals already, he looks like a front-runner. Good chance he'll be rested though for the final group game, now France have qualified (though might not be). Geek

Quote: George Kaplan @ 16th June 2016, 12:43 AM BST

Anyone betting on the Euros (footy)?

I've got some small change on Top Goalscorer. Before the tournament started, got 40/1 on Pelle E/W, and 50/1 on Bale E/W. Pelle is now at 12/1 and Bale at 16/1.

Yesterday before the Iceland match, added Gylfi at 200/1 E/W.

Payet was 50/1 before the tournament started. 20/1 yesterday. 16/1 during today's match, and is now at 9/2, and the current favourite. Nearly added him today, but was put off by the drop from 20/1 to 16/1. :)

But maybe Hamsik is the new Payet at 50/1?

A bit startled to read that Torres won the Golden Boot last time with only 3 goals! 3-5 goals has been the norm in the last 4 Euros. Last 4 winners have all been central strikers, not attacking midfield players.

You'd figure Payet will score at least one free-kick, possibly more, so with 2 goals already, he looks like a front-runner. Good chance he'll be rested though for the final group game, now France have qualified (though might not be). Geek

I don't gamble GK - well, not much.

But I was sure that Hodgson's Heroes would win the Euros before they started and I am still sure on that point.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th June 2016, 9:58 PM BST

I don't gamble GK - well, not much.

But I was sure that Hodgson's Heroes would win the Euros before they started and I am still sure on that point.

Currently 4th favourite @ 7/1. 8/1 before the start, so not much different, and 4th then too.

You can get 40/1 on England winning with Vardy as Euro 2016 top scorer.
Also 40/1 on England winning with Sturridge as Euro 2016 top scorer.
80/1 on England winning with Rooney as Euro 2016 top scorer.
Also 80/1 on England winning with Kane as Euro 2016 top scorer.

Had a treble on Giroud, Payet and Griezmann all to score against Iceland at 16/1. (75p stake, so returns £12.75.) Also got 8/1 on each of them to score twice (75p again). And a double on Griezmann & Gylfi at 12/1 (£1 stake).

Allez La France! :D

Giroud just got his second (+£6.75)! Earlier today backed him as top goalscorer for the tournament at 20/1.

Was about to put my monthly tenner in to my online account
I had 2.70 in there, when I was expecting zero
Must have been a last ditch bet I'd forgotten to check
Well you'll be pleased to know that I've doubled it with a mixture of Horses & Roulette
And am determined not to waste it all on Horses & Roulette
Although that's what I will definitely do

Six pound forty now. Quitting while I'm ahead