Robin's Nest location?

Hiya

I've started getting really interested in finding filming locations from classic British Sitcoms. It's just really interseting to see these locations on the sitcoms 30 odd years ago then look them up on Google Streetview like an old friend ;)

I've already uncovered a few (Butterflies, The Good Life, George & Mildred) but I'd love to find the actual address of 70s sitcom Robin's Nest. :)

After drawring many blanks I believe the bistro was actualy in Notting Hill not Fulham as suggested in the show but does anyknow what street in Notting Hill the bistro outside was filmed?

Aparently the place was actually called "Robin's Nest" back then but I just can't find any info on the location. :(

Somebody must know?

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Jodie :)

Quote: Jodester @ June 19 2010, 7:02 PM BST

I'd love to find the actual address of 70s sitcom Robin's Nest.

I guess you mean the restaurant, not the sitcom. ;)

What's led you to Notting Hill exactly?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/torquay-the-horrible-truth-1116255.html

it says in that newspaper piece that the restaurant was in Notting Hill :)

Ah! Very interesting article. Maybe you could write to the council (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea) to find out where it was? No doubt they'd have records of it for numerous reasons: dining establisment, alcohol licence holder, and probably filming permits.

That is indeed a fascinating article. If I lived in London, I'd get the tube to Notting Hill Gate and find some old-timers to ask them if they remember a Robin's Nest. Actually, that would just be the feeble pretext to visit my favourite second-hand book, comic and music shop - called Music & Video Exchange - if it still exists. It was incredibly good value. Yes, probably best to email the council's Arts & Leisure people: artsandleisure@rbkc.gov.uk

If it wasn't for M&VE, I wouldn't have nearly half of the comedy related books I do.

Bought a few Comedy albums & Doctor Who vidoes among other stuff from those shops.

Quote: Aaron @ June 20 2010, 1:04 AM BST

If it wasn't for M&VE, I wouldn't have nearly half of the comedy related books I do.

Good to know it's still there. I still have a stack of Viz annuals bought from there for a 50p to a pound each, plus old Viz comics for 60p, P.G. Wodehouse books, The Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide (subsequently cremated by an angry ex-girlfriend who didn't think much of Doctor Who) and much more.

You mean to tell me you put Doctor Who before a young lady who was there for your service? I do not blame the girl for pouring petrol on the thing and setting it ablaze!

Not that I want to veer off topic, but she burnt loads of my books, as she strongly believed that when in bed one should not be reading books. She saw the books as competition for my nocturnal attention, so she eliminated them to teach me a lesson.

Hi Jodester

I am also a massive fan of this sitcom and have searched the Fulham area for the location of the restaurant, but with no success.

However, thanks to your post it put me on a new track and I am proud to tell you the I have found it and yes it is in the Notting Hill/Holland Park area on Portland Road at the junction with Hippodrome Place and Clarendon Cross.

I think I am the first to find this location on the web, its now a shop called 'Victoria's', the front has hardly changed and you will also see another shop next door called 'Pruskin' which was the Sporran Steak House in the series.

Cheers

Wow, brilliant detective work! Thanks for letting us know. :)

Google Streetview: http://tinyurl.com/3xzqnta

I wandered down Goldhawk Road once a few years back and stumbled on the market place where the Steptoes kept bumping into that midget mafia boss, incredibly it looked like it hadn't changed a bit. I stood there reliving the blind greyhound buying scene for several glorious minutes.

Until you got moved on.

It was set in a restaurant. More specifically, a bistro.

Glad to be of help. :)