Ethnic Comedians Page 2

I'm a tin of Morrisons. Value purchase.

Quote: Thomas Blackwell @ June 7 2010, 4:51 AM BST

why is it that ethnical minority comedians can't succeed as their Caucasian counterparts in comedy?

Russell Peters, Bill Cosby, Katt Williams, Eddie Murphy and as others have mentioned Chris Rock and Chappelle are all very successful comedians with diverse acts (well except Rock but I can't stand his preachy style). They all do/did a lot of material based on race but they're not where they are just for that.

EDIT: Oops.

I'd like to ask about the ethnic Korean American comedian Margaret Cho. Has anyone seen her work (outside the movie Face Off)? Is she any good? I ask merely because I noticed a stack of her comedy DVDs on sale in a shop and I have no idea what her work is like.

Yeah, Margaret Cho's pretty good. I remember her sitcom was on British T.V. for a while, about 15 years ago. More recently, I've seen some of her stand-up on YouTube.

I remember that sitcom too, I loved it.

I just wish that ethnic comedians would get off the race material bandwagon, white comedians are now frowned on for telling racist jokes but so many up coming and well known ethnic comics still revert to race as a source of their material i.e. Steven K Amoss using "Nig Nog" it's OK folks I can say it, well No you can't, Or it's have one rule for you another for me so to speak and that's why racism won't go away, everyone needs to be on the same page.
Let's be careful not to be racist to ourselves.

There are also some radio comedies such as Beauty of Britain which cover ethnic minorities. Then there is Clare in the Community, which features characters including a gay man, a black lesbian, an Australian lesbian and an Eastern European.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 16 2011, 10:00 AM BST

an Eastern European.

:O

To Marc P: Yes, but she isn't played by an Eastern European. She's played by Nina Conti, who also plays Megan the Scot.

Ethnic comedians......how about ethical comedians? I'm not sure how that'd work, but I guess they'd only use recycled jokes.

Pure gold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y39d1fQqIXo

When I first saw Stephen K Amos on Live At The Apollo I thought he was hilarious with his routine based on him being black. Sadly he doesn't have anymore material than that.

Quote: Miksi @ September 15 2011, 10:02 PM BST

I just wish that ethnic comedians would get off the race material bandwagon, white comedians are now frowned on for telling racist jokes but so many up coming and well known ethnic comics still revert to race as a source of their material i.e. Steven K Amoss using "Nig Nog" it's OK folks I can say it, well No you can't, Or it's have one rule for you another for me so to speak and that's why racism won't go away, everyone needs to be on the same page.
Let's be careful not to be racist to ourselves.

Using racial subjects and experiences doesn't make you a black Bernard Manning.

Some people would rather shut up completely about race for fear of saying the wrong thing, which I have done and is a very good source of humour, as even some white comedians like Larry David demonstrate.

Even if a performer gets as far away from his racial background as possible (like David Harewood as Friar Tuck), the same people who go on about ethnic comedians using race material will droan on about PC gone mad at the BBC anyway.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take the chance to let everyone about a unique comedy show coming next month!

FROM 18TH NOVEMBER TO 27TH NOVEMBER

AFRICAN VS ASIAN COMEDIANS FACE-OFF IN A RING OF COMEDY.

Constructed around the standup routines of some of the nation's most celebrated and rising comedians.

WE ARE ONE spearheads the newest generation of comedy that is quintessentially British.

FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER Africa meets Asia combines the best of both continents under the banner of mutual respect.

Our goal for this tour is simple, to break down racial and cultural stereotypes whilst educating muslims and non-muslims about tolerance and acceptance through the vehicle of comedy.

Proceeds from this show will go to help support orphanages in Kenya, Pakistan and Guyana.

Hosted by Nabil Abdul Abdul Rashid

Representing the Asian Corner (red corner)

Inder Manocha

Halal Bilal

Mickey Sharma

Tez Ilyas

Representing the African Corner (blue corner)

Prince Abdi

A Dot Comedian

Babatune

Ola The Comedian

Earlybird Tickets £15.00

Stardard Tickets £17.50

Tickets on the door £20.00

For Tickets visit www.weare1.co.uk

For general information contact us at: info@weare1.co.uk & info.weareone@gmail.com

Join us for a bout of comedy where you decide on the winning continent, we guarantee side splitting laughter!!!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WeAreOneUK
Follow us on Twitter: @WeAreOneUK

Please don't post in unrelated threads. That's spamming. Your posts have been removed. This thread and/or ONE dedicated thread is more than enough.