Mongrels - Series 1 Page 4

Or The Muppet Show.

Or meet the feebles

Quote: Badhead @ July 6 2010, 7:23 PM BST

You could say both shows took a lot from I Am Not An Animal.

You could.

But you'd be wrong, as Pets pre-dates that laughter-vacuum by 3 years.

Quote: Aaron @ July 6 2010, 8:25 PM BST

You could.

But you'd be wrong, as Pets pre-dates that laughter-vacuum by 3 years.

Right.

I Am Not An Animal a laughter vacuum??

Are you not a fan of 2 Pints??

Correct on both points.

Enjoyed last night's episode, especially Marion's song. Satirical, funny and let moving in a strange sort of way.

Quote: Aaron @ July 6 2010, 8:40 PM BST

Correct on both points.

Sorry I should not have mentioned Two Pints. This being a forum about comedy.

I'm done with it for now. 3 episodes in and probably had 4 laughs, 6 smiles. Not a great ratio.

Will probably come back to it next series. See it it's found it's feet.

The BBC website has just announced a competition to make your own Mongrels clips.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2010/07/one-minute-mills-mongrels.shtml

I quite enjoyed that, even if it is a bit crude for CBTeenies.

I thought last night's was the funniest so far. I like really daft things like the cat refusing to jump into the water because he was eating a Magnum. There was a good line about Belgian incest as well.

Two things I learned from Mongrels last night:

1. Lesbians use PowerPoint.
2. Badgers aren't kosher.

Are lesbians kosher?

There were quite a few clever lines. But the funniest bit for me was when the cat couldn't stop playing with the piece of string. Many lols.

Well, 4 eps into series 1 - I guess it's time for an interim verdict ...

And I have to say that I'm really surprised this thread isn't covered in spilled love juice of various kinds. Tight scripts, original jokes, great characterisation both on the page and in performance ... what's not to like? Vince's chicken song, Marion and the wiggly string, the 'low ranking male' springwatch scene ... but if I keep going like this I'll just be recounting the whole series so far in the wrong order. This is real quality.

Bit confused about the writers. On the series credits it's co-developed and co-written but Jon Brown seems to have had every episode except the first co-written one (and if you look at his back catalogue you've got to forgive a bit, but hey).

Could this be BBC 3 finally coming into form?

It's a yes from me, Simon.

Erm, it occurs to me that the above really really looks like a production runner detailed to 'do the online stuff - you know the forums and that'. I'm not. I'm really not.

Haha!

It does have really funny and clever bits, but it does seem to move very slowly to me.

I'm not saying you're not right, but I do find it hard to understand how someone could experience it as slow. I find the opposite - that when I go back I find that stories I thought happened over two or three episodes were all in the same one - as if every B story could carry an episode. Wild guess - that the writers were sitting on a few years of backed up material. Be interesting to see if they can keep up the hit rate if they get a second series.

I think I need help or I'm going to end up doorstepping people with a DVD box set under my arm, saying 'Have you let the love of Mongrels into your heart?'.