Mongrels - Series 1 Page 3

I liked the fox (was it a fox?) and the runt, thought they were ok.

The dogs and cat (s) (see how much attention I paid) were funny but I couldn't stand the effing birds! was glad when one got poisoned and the other ate by either the fox or dog (or whatever they were)

I thought last night's episode was better than last week's. I felt so sorry for the poor little runt.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 30 2010, 10:09 AM BST

I thought last night's episode was better than last week's. I felt so sorry for the poor little runt.

In contrast, I preferred the first episode. Not as funny this week - too many jokes about pong sausages [that's how somebody once described a turd to me].

Not sure about the authenticity of the pigeon's Liverpudlian accent, but then I'm sure Marion's accent is dodgy as well.

Nelson and Vince are the stars.

This is just awful content.

Katy Brand is pretty much the worst thing in the world.

Quote: Damn His Duckpond @ June 30 2010, 11:02 AM BST

Not sure about the authenticity of the pigeon's Liverpudlian accent, but then I'm sure Marion's accent is dodgy as well.

I'm not sure if Kali's accent is Liverpudlian.

Also, according to the "Making of" features, Marion's accent is meant to be dodgy. It is a sort of mixture of lots of accents. It came about because Dan Tetsell learned that Omid Djalili was being considered for the role. Tetsell tried to impresonate him - albeit not very well. But his rubbish Omid Djalili eventually became the voice of Marion.

I liked the visual joke at the very beginning...

It appears the Pets/Mongrels plagiarism claims are still going on.

The people behind Pets have posted up this YouTube video and are asking people to complain to the BBC.

The point I was making (badly) about the accent of the pigeon, is that I'm tired of crappy attempts at regional accents. Just get a Liverpudlian to do it.

My point about Marion's accent wasn't a serious one, but the info was quite interesting. :)

As for the plagiarism claim... it's a puppet show; the puppets swear. Are the makers of Pets claiming they invented this? I mean, didn't Hartley Hare call Topov a c*** once?

Quote: Damn His Duckpond @ June 30 2010, 8:18 PM BST

As for the plagiarism claim... it's a puppet show; the puppets swear. Are the makers of Pets claiming they invented this? I mean, didn't Hartley Hare call Topov a c*** once?

Evidence to support the claim for plagiarism includes:

- Both shows are adult puppet sitcoms featuring a cast of animals.

- Both shows used the same puppet builders and puppeteers: Talk to the Hand.

- Mark Freeland, the executive producer of Mongrels, was pitched an idea for a Pets spin-off show back when he was the head of comedy at the BBC.

- Both shows feature a conflict between a foul-mouthed character and a more posh character (Nelson and Vince in Mongrels, Hamish and Trevor in Pets).

- Both shows feature an idiotic character (Marion in Mongrels, PJ in Pets).

- Both shows feature a self-absorbed female character (Destiny in Mongrels, Davina in Pets).

- The plotline of the second episode of Mongrels (broadcast next week), includes Vince having a litter of fox cubs and eating all but one of his young. In the plotline of the second episode of Pets (broadcast in 2001) Davina gives birth to kittens, but they are never seen because she drowns them in a toilet.

Also, I've been watching Pets again and I realised both shows have a character in them called Vince - although in Pets he is never seen.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 30 2010, 8:46 PM BST

- The plotline of the second episode of Mongrels (broadcast next week), includes Vince having a litter of fox cubs and eating all but one of his young.

I think that's the only one worth pursuing. None of the other examples are protected by copyright.

Just ordered Pets from the link on the YouTube video - thanks for that. :)

Rattles along, good pacing, some good jokes, some not-so-good. Lolled at the Biggins / God thing and the arse-sniffing jokes. It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

I don't think the show has nicked anything from Pets. It wasn't the first and won't be the last show that combines puppets, pets and comedy.

Anyway, I'm enjoying Mongrels. I like the songs, and the gag rate is pretty fast.

I'm refusing to watch this because someone at work, that I hate, loves it, and keeps trying to draw me into a conversation about it.

Quote: AngieBaby @ July 3 2010, 12:14 AM BST

I'm refusing to watch this because someone at work, that I hate, loves it, and keeps trying to draw me into a conversation about it.

Laughing out loud

I watched a couple of episodes of Pets last night... consequently, I'm even less convinced by the claim of plagiarism.

Pets is superior, but Mongrels is still pretty good (unless you hate the people who recommendnd it).

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 30 2010, 8:46 PM BST

Evidence to support the claim for plagiarism includes:

- Both shows are adult puppet sitcoms featuring a cast of animals.

- Both shows used the same puppet builders and puppeteers: Talk to the Hand.

- Mark Freeland, the executive producer of Mongrels, was pitched an idea for a Pets spin-off show back when he was the head of comedy at the BBC.

- Both shows feature a conflict between a foul-mouthed character and a more posh character (Nelson and Vince in Mongrels, Hamish and Trevor in Pets).

- Both shows feature an idiotic character (Marion in Mongrels, PJ in Pets).

- Both shows feature a self-absorbed female character (Destiny in Mongrels, Davina in Pets).

- The plotline of the second episode of Mongrels (broadcast next week), includes Vince having a litter of fox cubs and eating all but one of his young. In the plotline of the second episode of Pets (broadcast in 2001) Davina gives birth to kittens, but they are never seen because she drowns them in a toilet.

Also, I've been watching Pets again and I realised both shows have a character in them called Vince - although in Pets he is never seen.

You could say both shows took a lot from I Am Not An Animal.