Comedy Cool Wall Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ June 2 2010, 1:13 PM BST

I hates to says it, but Chortles does have a better news section. :$

What exactly is the problem with the news section? As someone who works on it, and as someone currently studying an MA in Multimedia Journalism, maybe I can help.

Cool: Daniel Kitson

Uncool: Bernard Manning.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 3 2010, 9:30 AM BST

What exactly is the problem with the news section? As someone who works on it, and as someone currently studying an MA in Multimedia Journalism, maybe I can help.

It's not very up to date. I had to go to Chortle to find out about Little and Large not talking to each other.

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2010, 9:53 AM BST

It's not very up to date. I had to go to Chortle to find out about Little and Large not talking to each other.

That's hardly news is it. You're so out of the loop.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 3 2010, 9:54 AM BST

That's hardly news is it. You're so out of the loop.

Yeah, well, at least I don't... look like a loop! Yeah, you look like a loop!

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2010, 9:57 AM BST

Yeah, well, at least I don't... look like a loop! Yeah, you look like a loop!

Yeah well done. What, practising for the next series of Newsjack?

Whistling nnocently

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2010, 9:53 AM BST

Yes. The problem is that I have to try and find the original source of the story, which most of the time is not Chortle, and this can sometimes be difficult.

Also, sometimes stories are broken by Broadcast, and because they have a paywall, they don't like it when we report stories for free.

For me, the most difficult part of the news section is simply waiting for the featured articles to go up. I've been waiting for over a year for my articles to go up, and lots of other people, including Mark himself who is in charge of it all, are waiting to put up their stuff to.

The feature article section may go up next week, following the final of the Sitcom Mission on Monday.

Fair enough, but Chortle seems to scoop the BCG. For instance, a quick perusal of their news section reveals Russell Brand only likes sycophantic interviewers, Arthur Strong is to do a pilot for BBC2 and Jason Wood has died. Whoever he is.

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2010, 10:26 AM BST

Fair enough, but Chortle seems to scoop the BCG. For instance, a quick perusal of their news section reveals Russell Brand only likes sycophantic interviewers, Arthur Strong is to do a pilot for BBC2 and Jason Wood has died. Whoever he is.

Yes, it does most of the time, but sometimes we scoop them. For example, we found out about "Never Write Off the Germans" and the fourth series of "The Thick of It" before them.

One problem is that for most of the time, it is Mark who can only post up stories in the news section, and because he has so much work to do it often gets put aside. The closest I can get to reporting on a story is by posting something in the cuttings section.

Maybe people can just keep two windows open.
The BCG for forum Chitter chatter & such like.
& Chortle for Comedy news & competitions.

BCG do competitions too though. :)

Quote: EllieJP @ June 3 2010, 1:04 PM BST

BCG do competitions too though. :)

Yeah. There's the 'Who can stuff the most satsumas up Chipolata's arse' competition, for one.

I might just have dreamt that.

Quote: chipolata @ June 3 2010, 10:26 AM BST

The biggest trouble is that the Chortle folks have a background in journalism, so see stories where we don't. IIRC, we had a guide entry for the Arthur Strong pilot a long time before they reported it as news. zooo and I had tickets for it for almost a week before they reported it as news.

With any luck things should be gearing up from now on though.

So in your FACE Chortle!

;)

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 3 2010, 12:29 PM BST

One problem is that for most of the time, it is Mark who can only post up stories in the news section, and because he has so much work to do it often gets put aside.

If you have a good story when Mark is busy or not around, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you forwarding it to me to post.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ June 3 2010, 9:30 AM BST

as someone currently studying an MA in Multimedia Journalism, maybe I can help.

Did you serve me at McDonalds the other day?