Hot Metal

Because I'm a huge One Foot In The Grave fan, I'm considering buying the DVDs for this 1980s sitcom as it is co-written by David Renwick and the second series has Richard Wilson in a key role. Anyone who's seen it, is it any good?

I remember as being rather funny in a slightly thick eared sort of way. Like a cross between The New Statesman and Drop the Dead Donkey.

I thought it was brilliant when it was on, but I also liked Blackadder and I can't watch that now.

Blackadder is still brilliant for me, apart from sometimes an overuse of similies and metaphors.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 30 2010, 11:41 PM BST

I thought it was brilliant when it was on, but I also liked Blackadder and I can't watch that now.

Restraining order?

Yes, it is good. Get it.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/10976100/Hot-Metal-Series-1/Product.html]
[h=31813]

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/26/55/-/13594720/Hot-Metal-Complete-Series-2/Product.html]
[h=6710]

I liked it lots when it was on but I haven't seen it since. I'm fairly confident it will still be good though.

It was one of a number of great comedies that used to be on ITV on a Sunday night, when ITV bothered to do comedy. That and New Statesman, Spitting Image, Hale and Pace etc.

I ordered the second series last week (I'm a bit low on cash, so only got the second as Richard Wilson was in it). Came today and watched the first three episodes, got to say, extremely funny stuff, laughed out loud on a number of occassions. Wilson is the best character in it for me, but Russell Spam and Greg Kettle are also great so may have a look at the first series. But so far three episodes into series 2, very good stuff.

You watch things out-of-order?! :O Mad!

Quote: Aaron @ June 5 2010, 7:39 PM BST

You watch things out-of-order?! :O Mad!

What's the Geoffrey Palmer character like in the first series?

Years since I watched it, so I don't remember the individual characters, sorry. Might stick a few episodes on later tonight.

I seem to remember at the time it was considered quite edgy but I can't remember a thing about it now.

(I know!)

I just watched an episode! Presumably the first one...
Was good. :)
Tiny bit like Alan B'stard.

As the tabloids are still written by a load of sanctimonious knobheads can anyone who has recently seen it tell me how much it has dated.