Eurovision Song Contest Page 40

It was a good evening, I liked that flash mob.

But Graham Norton should put a smelly sock in it. He even blabbed through the bit where he was interviewed! Laughing out loud

Who thinks that our entry was a fix? Subtly (!) telling us "We're in this together" for Europe.

Biggest load of nonentity cack we've put in for this competition.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th May 2016, 11:11 PM BST

Who thinks that our entry was a fix? Subtly (!) telling us "We're in this together" for Europe.

Biggest load of nonentity cack we've put in for this competition.

You think we should have gone down the Ukrainian route, Chappers?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/05/11/jamalas-ukraine-eurovision-song-stirs-up-russia/

The entry from Royaume Uni - "Coventry 1940 - (Boom Bang a Bang Blitz Mix)"

Only been watching for last 8 years but feels like every year it gets a bit less quirky.....just not as fun when everyone appears to try.

AWWWGAWWDNOTTHISLOAAADOFFFOLDDDDDFKINNNNBULLSHITTTTTTTTT

Whatever it is 'e says ^^^^^^^^^

Poogy.

Probably the first rock band that entered the competition:

1974 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIouglSdM3E

One Year Earlier -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5xUiayK-Pc

I can't understand anybody watching this shite.

What a stitch up. In the least musical Eurovision bore fest of all time, we were constantly advised by a primed Norton that the voting was not as political this year. That was no doubt true of the individual countries' votes. But the new voting system was specifically designed to ensure that taken as a whole the votes produced the most political result of all time. This was clever clever stuff. To bypass the requirement that no song should be political, Ukraine was organised to produce a supposedly historical song relating to Russian atrocities on Crimean Tartars in 1944. And slyly, that was presented as some sort of personally meaningful story to the singer, thereby making it relevant to the current day. There could then be a read across to Russia now being in Crimea by every Joe Soap.

The Russian entry was the favourite with the bookies. They got it right to the extent that more people voted for it than any other song. But first we had the presentation of "national jury votes" in a new voting system which favoured Ukraine over Russia. Actually Ukraine came second in each of the two sections with Australia winning in those juries. Of course for that was a perfect dummy for them not appearing obvious about intent and being able to build to a crescendo where Ukraine won, Australia came second and Russia was left with egg on its face.

National jury votes. My arse. We were never told who the faceless wonders actually were and there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever juries were wholly populated by EU bureaucrats and the CIA. What happened to the Crimean Tartars in 1944 bears no relation to Russia claiming Crimea as a response to a US-EU sponsored coup in Ukraine that was bang out of order. As for 1944, the Crimean Tartars hailed from invading armies originating in Mongolia so territorialism should hardly be a stranger to them. It is partially understandable why Eurovision should have been the forum to have a petty go at Putin. It is well known that Russia is not exactly wonderful on gay rights. It is not so well known that Ukraine has a worse human rights record in that respect or that Russia is more advanced on them than the UK was throughout the 20th Century. The myths that prevail are not helpful.

Russia is predominantly Christian while the Tartars are effectively disgruntled Muslims. There is nothing wrong with being a disgruntled Muslim but it is useful to remember that Christian countries help themselves by allying with each other to oppose anyone who is disgruntled and inclined to regularly behead. Jamala, 32, may indeed have had grandparents etc who suffered as Crimean Tartars in 1944. However, my hunch is that she is the American daughter of someone in Obama's inner circle and has a permanent role in Strasbourg or Brussels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew43u2gS0Y

I care about it too Horseradish
Maybe one day there will come a time when people treat this sort of thing as seriously as it deserves.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 15th May 2016, 1:15 AM BST

I care about it too Horseradish
Maybe one day there will come a time when people treat this sort of thing as seriously as it deserves.

Spot on. Laughing out loud

Not that I care for

Quote: keewik @ 15th May 2016, 12:05 AM BST

this shite

,but the ESC makes it quite obvious Germany and Switzerland don't have many friends in Europe...

Europe are mean. :(

Also, this means that we are more hated than Russia?
That massively homophobic f**kwit is less hated by Eurovision fans than we are. Ouch, Europe. Ouch.

We need to start ripping girls skirts off again

That's was always a vote winner

Great that Ukraine won. Another subtle message!