Mock The Week - Series 9 Page 4

Quote: chipolata @ July 15 2010, 6:14 PM BST

Incorrect. It's the other way round.

Incorrect. It's the other way round.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ July 15 2010, 8:45 PM BST

I think when he last appeared he described himself as a Thundercat on heroin.

Wow, that is very accurate. :D

This show badly needs putting out of its misery.

I'm disappointed in Russel Howard. It seems with Frankie gone, now he's the one trying to make the show all about him and whatever random nonsense he feels like spouting. Both can be funny but certainly not nearly that much (the former even seems to be desperately dipping into the latter's Kerry Katona gags now too). Likewise, I like Andy Parsons but did his contract for this series state 'Must be allowed to make a self righteous statement and have the audience roar with applause within the first five minutes per episode'?

I may have had one too many, but I thought the last episode was a bit of a return to form.

For me it seems that Frankie and Russell had a sort of rapport that the others didn't. I still like it even though it's lost a little something.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 17 2010, 8:57 PM BST

I may have had one too many, but I thought the last episode was a bit of a return to form.

I think it's been great since Frankie Boyle left but then I couldn't stand him so probably that's why.

I've found myself shocked in the last few episodes just what rotten material manages to get a laugh from the studio audience. Quite a lot of the gags, even when they're quite vicious, lack any basis in reality.

Quote: sidecar jon @ July 5 2010, 8:18 PM BST

I'm new so how does it work?..Is the whole thing scripted tightly? Or is it partially scripted? Or are the Panel told the stories and they script themselves or prompt themselves, or is it just free form?

Frankie "I'll make jokes about anything except alcoholism because I used to suffer from alcoholism which means it's not funny" Boyle admitted that all the panellists squabble over the pre-written stuff.

So I'm guessing either partially or fully scripted.

(Or in the case of Milton Jones, just shout out your material whatever the 'topic' happens to be)

I'm sure they get things like the Acronym & the answers that need a question well in advance, probably the stand up topics as well.

Yep I'd plump for "partial script", which isn't to diminish it. Probably the best bits are the banter which probably isn't scripted. The other week some one squashed a fly (this might have been on Dave so and old ep) and held up a sheet it was squashed on, it looked to be paragraphs of printed scripted jokes.

Milton Jones, I like Milton, but yes he names a subject and just streams out a joke he's already made/used. It's a style I like for its sheer joke smithery.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 18 2010, 7:35 PM BST

I'm sure they get things like the Acronym & the answers that need a question well in advance, probably the stand up topics as well.

Without a shadow of a doubt they get the stand up topics in advance.

Pretty much every panel show gives the panellists access to questions in advance. It's most noticable on Argumental where they actually sit there with clipboards.

I don't think it is much of a secret the guests tell the Mock The Week producers what stand-up topic they want to talk about, and then the producers make sure the topic comes up on the wheel for them. e.g. Micky Flanagan loves his restaurant routine so it's no surprise he got the topic 'eating out' when he was on the show.

As for the end 'Scenes We Like To See' - each of the comics is helped with some ideas by the writers (a list of the writers can be seen here incidently: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mock_the_week/details/). The Mock The Week book - written by the writers rather than the cast - kind of reveals this 'secret' too.

But obviously there is a lot of spur-of-the-moment jokes too. As long as its funny, I don't particularly mind where the jokes come from.

Good show this week. It's really at its best when it indulges actual banter instead of everyone fighting for screentime.

The lines you wouldn't hear round this week was dog awful.