Clint

This looks interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8660718.stm

I grew up reading comics such as the Eagle and I think there's a massive gap in the market.

I had several Eagle Annuals as a kid, but they disappeared after I left home.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 6 2010, 1:21 AM BST

I had several Eagle Annuals as a kid, but they disappeared after I left home.

Me too. I'd love to read them again.

I didn't think too much of the stories, but the comic strips were always good, be they humourous or sci-fi, such as Blunderbirds, Cornelius Dimworthy and Dan Dare. Better than the stuff in Beano or The Dandy.

I have a big pile of original 1980's Eagle comics within arm's reach right now. Not all the time you understand, just where I'm typing.

Ah yes I remember the 80's version.

Doomlord & Thunderbolt & Smokey

I first bought it in 1963 and had it for about 5 years. Then moved to the Victor and the Tiger.

I inherited a stack of 1960s' Eagle Annuals from a doctor's son. I bypassed Beano and Dandy in favour of Carl Barks' Disney comics and Oor Wullie, learned about American culture, movies and TV by reading Mad magazine and then Viz came along.

As for this new comic magazine, it's described as being an "adult comic" so I'm not sure I understand the comparison to The Eagle.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 6 2010, 2:07 PM BST

I inherited a stack of 1960s' Eagle Annuals from a doctor's son. I bypassed Beano and Dandy in favour of Carl Barks' Disney comics and Oor Wullie, learned about American culture, movies and TV by reading Mad magazine and then Viz came along.

American culture? What's that?

Quote: Kenneth @ May 6 2010, 2:07 PM BST

As for this new comic magazine, it's described as being an "adult comic" so I'm not sure I understand the comparison to The Eagle.

Jonathan Ross is a great comic fan and of course he was connected with Kick Ass so I anticipate some super heroes or a Dan Dare type of character - maybe even the man himself.

This I still have, along with two boxes of Mad magazine, but I don't know what happened to The Eagle Annuals. Cornelius Dimworthy I can't even find online - and he was the best comic in The Eagle.

Quote: Chappers @ May 6 2010, 2:13 PM BST

Kick Ass

Is it worth watching? Australian kids (13 year old boys) are raving about it.

No idea.

Blimey, there's a Clint thread.

The first issue's out.

Think Mark Millar's misjudged his editorial somewhat. Going on about how grandad had The Eagle, dad had 2000AD and now 'you've' got Clint. Which sort of implies that this is aimed at a much younger crowd than will probably end up buying it.

I mean, has he never been to Forbidden Planet? The average age of the punters I see there is 30's/40's upwards.

Aren't Jonathan Ross and Frankie Boyle signing copies at Victoria Station today?

I believe so.

NB. Although it says here it's Mark Millar and J. Ross.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Support/InStoreSignings.aspx

Bloody hell. There's tickets involved. Do they cost?