The all-in-one consolidated snooker thread Page 2

Does anyone know if Steve Davis still collects records? I remember seeing a documentary about him, years ago, and he had a massive collection.

What is it with with Snooker that makes everyone watching it want to cough?

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 1 2010, 7:20 PM BST

What is it with with Snooker that makes everyone watching it want to cough?

:D

I think it's because the minute you have to be quiet you can't help but make a noise.

I wish they'd f'cough.

And that person who had the strange ringtone going off for ages.

Was Graham Dott asleep in his chair just then? Crikey, his own severely slow and negative style is starting to bore him!

RIP Hurricane Higgins.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 24 2010, 7:34 PM BST

RIP Hurricane Higgins.

He's died? I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did, though. A great fast player, unlike a lot of the slow coaches. RIP.

F**k me, Higgins is dead?!

I never watched him play, but used to love the little documentaries about him. He'd come out to the table wearing a fedora and then throw it in the crowd - the fedora, not the table. Such a showman.

From the BBC website:

He had frequent brushes with snooker's governing body - he once head-butted a tournament director - and his career suffered a downward spiral after being banned for an entire season following a threat to have his compatriot Dennis Taylor shot in 1990.

I'd like to see Peter Ebdon do that.

Such a contrast to the other players on the circuit at the time.

I can still see him after winning the World Title with his wife and child.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8852020.stm

Great entertainer.

RIP Ode Pal.

I met him briefly once.
He came into our local (with Fedora) to get some Coke I think.
After being asked nicely, he played one of the young teenagers at Pool finishing off with a 5 cushion black.
then there was a fight at the pool table when everyone else wanted to play him, and I just happened to be standing next to him at the bar and he said "If the press get hold of this, I'll get the blame" well I think that's what he said. I just nodded.

Then a couple of the regulars stole the 2 bottles of champagne he'd come in with.

Anyway, he was pretty good at Pool. I'll give him that.

RIP Alex, hero of mine in the early eighties.

RIP :(

Power Snooker final billed as 'The Rocket vs. China's Finest'.

Disappointed then to find Ronnie playing Ding Junhui and not Jackie Chan.

I once went to see Alex Higgins V Tony Knowles at an exhibition match when both players were at the peak of their careers.

It was a great evening, and to see these players 'live' doing unbelievable shots was incredible.

I went with a friend who was known for his tightness, as the saying goes - he would cut a raisin in half.
During a break in play while the referee was re-racking the balls, my friend reminded me it was my round at the bar.

Because lots of people were heading for the bar at the same time, I took a shortcut right past the snooker table where Alex Higgins was sat.
He looked at me and asked me if I was going to the bar. I couldn't decern his reason for asking me, I thought he was going to bollock me for walking past him.

I said yes I was and he replied 'will you get me a pint of lager'

I came back from the bar holding 3 pints of lager and offered Alex the front pint. He took it and put a £5 note in my top shirt pocket, which at that time more than paid for the three beers. I told him I would be back with his change and he waved me away - meaning it didnt matter.

I sat down and gave my friend his drink. I thought he must be impressed that I had just spoken and interacted with our hero Alex Higgins.
I said 'did you see that, Alex asked me to fetch him a lager.

My friend replied 'I saw the fiver go in your shirt pocket, so it's still your round next time'