Frank Skinner's Opinionated - Series 1 Page 4

Does anyone else get the feeling that Skinner's material is anything but 'unplanned'?

It seems to me that Frank goes in armed with a few topical zingers which he works the conversation remorselessly towards while his poor guests, who let's not forget also have comedy reputations to maintain, get served up on a plate because they have no idea where he's going to go.

Would this not be regarded as bad form in professional circles?

Having said that, Dave Gorman did pretty well off the cuff - and I'm no fan.

Quote: Bomsh @ April 27 2010, 5:48 AM BST

Does anyone else get the feeling that Skinner's material is anything but 'unplanned'?

Every TV show is pretty much scripted to the eyeballs. It's far too expensive a medium to just let people go in and waffle for however long it takes to record it. And any comedian who wants to avoid looking a titi is going to go in with some zingers in his pocket.

Quote: chipolata @ April 27 2010, 11:33 AM BST

And any comedian who wants to avoid looking a titi is going to go in with some zingers in his pocket.

Yeah, but when they melt and they have a big brown stain on their crotch, then they look like a 'titi'.

Lolz, titi...

Mock the Week is the worst for that.
It just looks like 6 (sometimes 7 if Dara can't keep quiet) dogs fighting over a bone.
Still, I prefer most panel shows over all sketch shows I think...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 27 2010, 11:43 AM BST

No such thing.

Another mildly amusing episode that passed the time but won't linger in the mind. The lacklustre guests didn't help. I think the problem is that despite the title the show really isn't very opiniated at all.

I liked the Russian with the things up his nose.

I thought it was the best episode so far.

I like Lee Mack and he wasn't lackluster at all.

The woman didn't do much for me though.

I liked all the talk about ghosts though as I find it quite interesting.

Let's call this show what it is, bargain-basement schedule filler.

Last night's was much better tho, it's starting to find its feet now. Frank was in much better form, Lee Mack made me laugh more than he ever has before, and Sarah Millican at least provided the laughter track, as she always does.

It hasn't got a very strong identity of its own, this show just looks like what it is, an excuse for yet another cheap comedy panel type show very loosely about current events. But it's not bad. I like the audience interaction in this one - now you're not telling me the producers don't hand pick the ones who're going to speak!

It felt weird watching a panel show where the election got no mention whatsoever. That said, I rather enjoyed it. It really is nothing special, but it trundles along pleasingly.

Also funny how Sarah Millican was only on last week's show and Al Murray has been on before as well.

Yes, I thought that was poor guest selection. The least they can do is get different ones on every week, no? Skinner was at his funniest last night, which helped. She was also funnier than last week. Murray is just a safe bet because he's always fairly good, but he's also been on before.

But the theme of the show is pitifully week, he just picks random subjects out of the air and they loosely dicuss them on a couch. I think Skinner's armchair and the sofa is meant to represent a typical living room, but there's no other set design at all, so really the whole show looks cheap and badly planned to me. I like the audience participation though, and I can think of much unfunnier panel shows. I just don't think its identity is very strong, it can be very funny, but it's not very 'opinionated'.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 9 2010, 12:47 PM BST

Yes, I thought that was poor guest selection. The least they can do is get different ones on every week, no?

I think that might be a weakness in the format - it was filmed in Norwich so they presumably had to convince guests to travel there. I'm sure it's no coincidence that the show is made by Avalon... who just also happen to be the agents of Al Murray.