Ricky Gervais - The Invention of Acting - Badly Page 2

Mark Gatiss has written the Dalek episode. Nothing wrong with his writing!

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:08 PM BST

Exactly, Cemetery Junction is the first film that is properly by him. All the others he's just acted in, really.

He did co-write and co-direct The Invention Of Lying; but with some other bloke, not Merchant.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:08 PM BST

Exactly, Cemetery Junction is the first film that is properly by him.

And that got a pasting on Front Row last night. But even if all his films are average to dire, I don't think it'll change his legacy. Rowan Atkinson hasn't exactly had a particularly auspicious film career, yet it hasn't stopped people thinking of him as a great comedy actor.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:12 PM BST

Mark Gatiss has written the Dalek episode. Nothing wrong with his writing!

LOG and that spooky Christmas thing he did the other year illustrate that; plus his novels.

Quote: chipolata @ April 13 2010, 1:13 PM BST

And that got a pasting on Front Row last night. But even if all his films are average to dire, I don't think it'll change his legacy. Rowan Atkinson hasn't exactly had a particularly auspicious film career, yet it hasn't stopped people thinking of him as a great comedy actor.

It's picked up pretty good reviews in most of the film mags.

And if it all goes wrong, he can go back to radio with Steve and Karl.

Quote: Timbo @ April 13 2010, 1:11 PM BST

Given the writers Moffat has been recruiting it would not come as a surprise.

Let's not forget that Moffatt himself was something of a surprise. I remember being quite surprised that the writer of Coupling was for some reason writing a two part Doctor Who story.

Quote: chipolata @ April 13 2010, 1:13 PM BST

And that got a pasting on Front Row last night.

It did, but the woman who reviewed it didn't seem to take the film in the spirit in which it was presumably intended.

Maybe she's a bitter failed comedy writer on the sly.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:15 PM BST

And if it all goes wrong, he can go back to radio with Steve and Karl.

The TV version of that starts on Channel 4 next week. They appear to be animated Flinstones stylee.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 13 2010, 1:16 PM BST

It did, but the woman who reviewed it didn't seem to take the film in the spirit in which it was presumably intended.

At best it's a probably pretty minor work. I mean I like Gervais a lot, but I think I'll wait till it's £3 in ASDA before seeing it.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2010, 1:19 PM BST

Maybe she's a bitter failed comedy writer on the sly.

Lots of us them about.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 13 2010, 1:04 PM BST

I'm assuming you've just made that up.

In my defence it is my job :)

Quote: chipolata @ April 13 2010, 1:20 PM BST

At best it's a probably pretty minor work. I mean I like Gervais a lot, but I think I'll wait till it's £3 in ASDA before seeing it.

I would quite like to see it at the pictures, but there are other films ahead of it on my list (Four Lions, Kick Ass).

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 13 2010, 1:22 PM BST

I would quite like to see it at the pictures

The pictures is too expensive nowadays. And the people in there with you won't effing shut up!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 13 2010, 1:20 PM BST

The TV version of that starts on Channel 4 next week. They appear to be animated Flinstones stylee.

Yayy!