The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups 2010 Page 3

The first time I fully realised how silly these polls are was when Bros won best single ever (this was a while ago, you can guess). Just shows we should never let the general public decide anything.

Right, remind me what's happening on May 6th?

Quote: Mark @ April 11 2010, 3:27 PM BST

I think it would have just the same kind of problems as this C4 one has...

We could all post our own personal favourites here though, as a mini straw poll? Here's my current favourites, in alphabetical order because I can't choose a top one:

Bill Bailey, Jimmy Carr, Jasper Carrott, Jack Dee, Lee Evans, Sean Lock, Lee Mack, Michael McIntyre, Frank Skinner.

(Yes, I know, all very modern and populist - but, shoot me, I'm a mainstream kind of guy)

We might have some problems, but we should not have as much rigging as their poll. Also, I think that it could work if instead of having a short list (or long list) we just invite people to type in the names of their top ten favourite stand ups.

Also, my grandad suggested another name that is probably a worthy contender for the top 100 - Charlie Williams. Considering he was the first successful black British stand-up, I would say he would be a contender for the top 100.

As for my favourite 10 stand-ups, they would be Ross Noble, Daniel Kitson, Tim Vine, Al Murray, Bill Hicks, Dara O'Briain, Frankie Boyle, Mark Watson, Bill Bailey and Dave Gorman (even if he doesn't call himself one).

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 11 2010, 7:57 PM BST

As for my favourite 10 stand-ups, they would be Ross Noble, Daniel Kitson, Tim Vine, Al Murray, Bill Hicks, Dara O'Briain, Frankie Boyle, Mark Watson, Bill Bailey and Dave Gorman (even if he doesn't call himself one).

Presumably on the basis that you've never seen Max Miller perform ?

Just for fun, my favourite stand-up ever is Peter Cook.

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 11 2010, 7:59 PM BST

Presumably on the basis that you've never seen Max Miller perform ?

Yes.

I don't think he was a candidate on Channel 4's shortlist either.

There were very little inclusions from that era. A pity.

Quote: Aaron @ April 11 2010, 8:10 PM BST

There were very little inclusions from that era. A pity.

I think Doddy, Trinder and Hope were the oldest comedians in terms of when their careers started.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 11 2010, 8:02 PM BST

Yes.

I don't think he was a candidate on Channel 4's shortlist either.

Allow me Young Shaver . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm61yavCp-o

(My first post!)

I was so annoyed that Jim Davidson ranting about how "women aren't funny" and who he thinks is a "prick" or a "wanker" was on there, whilst some comedians barely got anything at all. Someone mentioned Sean Lock whizzed by, as did loads of others. Grrr!

By the way, my favourites (in no particular order):
Ross Noble, Adam Hills, Tim Minchin, Jason Manford, Bill Bailey, Alan Carr

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 11 2010, 8:21 PM BST

Thanks for the clip.

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 11 2010, 8:21 PM BST

Very much cleaned up for the big screen.

The other day my mum was complaining about how crude comedians are these days; she shut up when I reminded her of Max Miller.