It's gonna make some people angry...

... but I really, really liked Nathan Barley.

I got the series on DVD for my birthday last week... and it brought it all back to me... wonderful stuff. Off the wall... almost no point to some of it... but just brilliantly crafted.

My friends are very much divided... one in particular (who works as an editor for 'Toxic' - a young lads magazine) HATED it... but I think that's simply because it was too close to the mark.

Anyway...if I had written it, I would have been proud.

Yeah I thought it was good.

But the annoying thing for me was the Dan Ashcroft character was exactly the same as a character I created just before it came out. They way he spoke, looked, everything, it was spooky.

Yeah, really loved this show, I found it very, very funny and cant really understand the vitriol spewed in its general direction when it first screened.

I loved it. Unsurprisingly.

It got a *lot* of flak when it came out, but even some of the people that hated it are coming round now they've given it a second look.
People really should have more faith in Chris Morris.

It was an aquired taste. But one worth aquiring.

One of the best sitcoms of recent times. Really, really excellent.

Dan

I didn't like it at all. Infact, it was usually on before some other show (usually Big Brother's Big Mouth ironically) and it put me to sleep.

However, that was what? Two/three years ago? Maybe if i watch it a second time i'd find it better. Much like i did with the Office.

The DVD has a pilot episode as part of the 'Extras' features. This pilot, although containing a lot of the ideas that eventually made it into the individual episodes, is quite a bit different in look and feel.

I don't know whether it was Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker... or the show's producers who gave it that final bit of gloss but it certainly makes all the difference.

Of course, you have to see the pilot to appreciate what I'm going on about.

loved it

I've been told to watch this for ages. I'm going to do some youtube searching and will inform you of my findings...

That's even better then I remember, din't know you could watch full episodes on youtube, thanka charlie.

Quote: Darren Goldsmith @ May 8, 2007, 5:37 PM

The DVD has a pilot episode as part of the 'Extras' features. This pilot, although containing a lot of the ideas that eventually made it into the individual episodes, is quite a bit different in look and feel.

I don't know whether it was Chris Morris, Charlie Brooker... or the show's producers who gave it that final bit of gloss but it certainly makes all the difference.

Of course, you have to see the pilot to appreciate what I'm going on about.

You mean 'grading'. Electronic filters appled to video after it's edited to make it look moody or atmospheric. I'm not crazy about it, because it drastically reduces the colour palette and makes shows look samey – think of those American shows that all have that blue look. The C4 trailers for Nathan Barley were transmitted ungraded, indicating that the decision to give it that contrasty, spray paint look was a late one, possibly the result of Morris losing a bit of confidence in the public's ability to 'get' the show.

Anyone fancy a quick game of cock, muff, bumhole?

Mmmm, yeah... I'm aware of 'grading'. But there's more to it than that, obviously. The pilot episode on the DVD has a different direction and storyline... and as a result it flounders a little. The show that made it to air is concise, well edited with a much better focus on 'media drivel' as the centrepiece.

As for (possibly) Morris losing confidence... the weird thing is that, in the past, some audiences have been known to NOT respond well to that desaturated look, claiming it distanced them from the action. Although perhaps that’s just an age thing…

Most people were never going to 'get' the show. And those that may have got it probably didn't like seeing a parody of their own sorry existence, etched so sharply.

The idiots are winning!

Too true.

What phone you got?

The WASP T12 Speechtool, naturally!

Although I'll soon be upgrading to the ANT T15 MediaNode. As well as mixing decX, the T15 comes with a utility that automatically adds everyone who currently on-line in the world to your MySpace 'Friends' list...

Yeah?