Can you tell jokes?

When it comes to telling jokes, I am absolutely terrible. One liners I'm fine with (since, let's face it, there's so little to mess up) but any story based jokes and I'm guarenteed to fall flat on my arse when retelling it. I was just curious, is anyone else like this or are you all, well, more competent when it comes to comedy? :P

People pay me to do it so I'd like to think that I've reached some level of proficiency.

One-liners are actually really hard to tell well, on stage anyway, because they are so small and fragile the delivery has to be perfect, any stumbles or the wrong intonation and the whole gag is ruined, where as with a longer story it has room to breathe and there's a bit more leeway.

I can write 'em but my stnadup is pretty dead.

The three times I've been on stage (last August bank holiday) I only had to deliver one-liners and that was hard enough! I doubt there's any way I could have delivered an entire story.

I can neither write or deliver the tricky little buggers.

I see myself as more of a quipper, but, unfortunately, there's no money in quipping. No matter how hard you quip.

Quote: Ben @ April 9 2010, 11:14 AM BST

I see myself as more of a quipper, but, unfortunately, there's no money in quipping. No matter how hard you quip.

Just go on a panel show or be James Bond.

Seeing as this isn't strictly a Writers' or Standup thread, I'll move it to General.

Quote: SlagA @ April 9 2010, 12:16 PM BST

Seeing as this isn't strictly a Writers' or Standup thread, I'll move it to General.

That is such a crappy joke and poorly told.

I have a terrible memory for jokes. I can only remember three.

I am, however good at putting people down with mean quips... which never comes in usful and just makes me feel bad.

I absolutely cannot tell jokes.
I get too self conscious. I can't do anything which feels like 'performing', even if it's only for a few seconds.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 12:23 PM BST

That is such a crappy joke and poorly told.

Laughing out loud

Quote: miss jaffacake @ April 9 2010, 1:47 PM BST

I am good at putting people down with mean quips... never comes in useful and makes me feel bad.

Especially during your annual appraisal, no doubt. ;)

Quote: zooo @ April 9 2010, 2:03 PM BST

I can't do anything which feels like 'performing', even if it's only for a few seconds.

Poor Aaron.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2010, 10:03 AM BST

I can write 'em but my stnadup is pretty dead.

My stnadup is no better. And I can't tell jokes either.

Quote: Chappers @ April 9 2010, 5:26 PM BST

Poor Aaron.

Unimpressed

Quote: Chappers @ April 9 2010, 5:26 PM BST

Poor Aaron.

My stnadup is no better. And I can't tell jokes either.

I thang u now take my wife, no really take my wife.