A new host for Room 101? Page 4

Frank Skinner? No thanks!

I don't see any problem with Skinner. Merton felt too much that he was working towards prepared material for my liking. Prior to him Nick Hancock was a host who allowed his guests to shine. Skinner's easy-going nature as displayed in both Opinionated and his Absolute radio show demonstrate that he could very much be the man for the job.

I look forward to the new series. I only hope that Skinner gives the guests more of a hard time. Merton's tokenism of one item not going in was never as good as Hancock's genuine argument. Let the guest prove the point if it genuinely means so much to them.

My only real fear is that there aren't enough potentially entertaining guests around to make it work around him...I hope to be proven wrong.

Quote: Fozz @ August 24 2011, 1:56 AM BST

My only real fear is that there aren't enough potentially entertaining guests around to make it work around him...I hope to be proven wrong.

I was quite surprised to find David Mitchell had never appeared as it ended in 2007. He's a certainty, surely?

As long as I don't have to listen to Merton's nasty/disturbing laugh, it could be John Redwood for all I care.

I saw Nick Hancock at Stoke On Trent train station the other week.

Strangely enough, were I ever invited to be a guest, one of my items would be Frank Skinner.

:D Sarah bloody Millican, let's have a female!

You'll need to lobby Broadcasting House with that one. Apart from the odd few guesting on HIGNFY they don't seem to be fancied as comedy show hosts.

I'd have thought she'd add a bit of bite to the show, myself. Although Skinner's very capable, I think he's a bit too amiable, a bit too nice and agreeable for hosting room 101. With Merton and Hancock you got that bit of friction between the controller and the guest.

With Skinner I fear it'll be just another general comedy chat show and lose its Room 101ness, although he'll probably get laughs out of it. He's funny, but overused now and too lightweight for Room 101, imo. I think his old mate David Baddiel would have been a much better choice.

Victoria Coren; wow you would have to fight to get anything in!

Frank Skinner does seem a bit of a safe choice. Good call on Sarah Millican, that would have been interesting. As for Paul Merton, I always had the feeling that the only reason he was hosting was that the BBC felt they should give him something to do between series of HIGNFY.

Sean Lock would have been a good choice for this. Although I'd rather see him do a new sitcom...

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 30 2011, 11:46 AM BST

Sean Lock would have been a good choice for this. Although I'd rather see him do a new sitcom...

He's already done TV Heaven Telly Hell which is pretty similar.

Hands up if, like me, you ever imagined yourself being a guest on the show.

Quote: ellipsis @ August 31 2011, 1:24 AM BST

He's already done TV Heaven Telly Hell which is pretty similar.

Ah yes, that was a bit of a 101 clone.

I liked it, though. Pity it never got a second series.