Doc Martin - 'The GP Always Rings Twice'

Gratuitous violence toward animals.
Warnng: The Series 3 episode The GP Always Rings Twice contains a scene of outlandish disregard for animal life. The bumbling Doc Martin drives his car over a helpless Yorkie and crushes the small animal to death beneath his 4,000-pound luxury car. One of the unwritten rules of drama is that you don't kill dumb animals to progress your simplistic and indifferent plot. Sadists among us already prey upon helpless domesticated animals without the cheer leading and encouragement of TV shows like this. If the producers have no better sense of proportion and sensitivity,they should be blackballed from ever producing their violent-endorsing drivel on the unsuspecting public again. Cancel this monstrosity of so-called entertainment before it offends us again.

Quote: chuck curtis @ March 18 2010, 4:19 AM GMT

Gratuitous violence toward animals.
Warnng: The Series 3 episode The GP Always Rings Twice contains a scene of outlandish disregard for animal life. The bumbling Doc Martin drives his car over a helpless Yorkie and crushes the small animal to death beneath his 4,000-pound luxury car. One of the unwritten rules of drama is that you don't kill dumb animals to progress your simplistic and indifferent plot. Sadists among us already prey upon helpless domesticated animals without the cheer leading and encouragement of TV shows like this. If the producers have no better sense of proportion and sensitivity,they should be blackballed from ever producing their violent-endorsing drivel on the unsuspecting public again. Cancel this monstrosity of so-called entertainment before it offends us again.

Woooooooo!

I don't think it was a real dog. Have you got no imagination or sense of humour?

Sense of humour? Yes, I have a sense of humour. Running over a dog with your car doesn't seem that funny to me.

Running over people who think killing dogs is funny -- that has a humourous side to it.

Quote: chuck curtis @ March 18 2010, 8:36 PM GMT

Sense of humour? Yes, I have a sense of humour. Running over a dog with your car doesn't seem that funny to me.

Running over people who think killing dogs is funny -- that has a humourous side to it.

Oh sorry. I didn't notice. You're American.

Apology accepted.

Quote: Chappers @ March 18 2010, 8:52 PM GMT

Oh sorry. I didn't notice. You're American.

Laughing out loud

Thank God that HD hasn't progressed so far that we can see the ants underfoot. Unimpressed

I couldn't agree more with Mr. Curtis. Killing helpless animals, even in jest, is not funny. To the writers: Although staged as an accident, Doc Martins' character need not hate animals to that extent to be funny. This episode was more horror than light comedy. Actually, given that the Yorkie was hiding under the rear tire on the driver's side and somewhat visible, I'm not completely convinced that it was an accident. His attitude afterwards certainly didn't quell any reason to believe he cared.

So it's just the yanks then?

Haven't you watched A Fish Called Wanda? It was cringingly funny when animal lover Palin killed Patricia Hayes' dogs.

I love to laugh, but senselessly killing off innocent animals is not funny (I can still hear the crunch when his car rolled over the dog).

I also dislike laugh-tracks. The Doc Martin series excels in that respect, not needing to prime its viewer with fake laughter. I will continue to watch future episodes of Doc Martin, hoping that his character will not become a cruel ogre to more animals. Otherwise, it is a wonderful show, full of interesting medical knowledge, scenery, and characters.

Quote: Figgy @ June 12 2012, 7:22 PM BST

I love to laugh, but senselessly killing off innocent animals is not funny

Then I'll advise you to steer clear of the (hilarious) veterinarian sketches in The League of Gentlemen.

Public television played the last and first episode of Doc Martin back to back Thursday night here in Maryland and it was interesting to see the contrast of how the main characters evolved. Doc Martin was a fabulous trip and I'm unhappy that it's all over. British film making is my favourite. Thank you England for your intelligent use of the medium.

It's not over, Figgy. A new series is in production as we speak.

If Chuck and Figgy are sensitive towards animal cruelty in television I suggest they watch Peep Show series4 episode5.

"Mummy!"

Quote: Figgy @ June 12 2012, 7:22 PM BST

I love to laugh, but senselessly killing off innocent animals is not funny (I can still hear the crunch when his car rolled over the dog).

I also dislike laugh-tracks. The Doc Martin series excels in that respect, not needing to prime its viewer with fake laughter. I will continue to watch future episodes of Doc Martin, hoping that his character will not become a cruel ogre to more animals. Otherwise, it is a wonderful show, full of interesting medical knowledge, scenery, and characters.

It hasn't got a laughter track because : -

A) It's not a comedy.

B) There is no audience because it's filmed on location.

Generally in Britain we don't add laughter tracks to location sitcoms although Last of the Summer Wine used to be shown on screen to an audience.