The Gemma Factor

Surprised there's not a thread for this already. Not impressed by the first episode. Seems a fairly standard retread of the Two Pints Of Lager/Lunch Monkeys/Coming Of Age formula. There was certainly no originality on display. And the actress playing Gemma looks about 35, not 20.

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2010, 10:18 AM GMT

Surprised there's not a thread for this already. Not impressed by the first episode. Seems a fairly standard retread of the Two Pints Of Lager/Lunch Monkeys/Coming Of Age formula. There was certainly no originality on display. And the actress playing Gemma looks about 35, not 20.

I saw about 30 seconds of it after getting back from my exciting trip to the Beeb.

Looked like the more typical BBC Three offering rather than the more exceptional 'How Not To Live', type thing.

Yeah, back on topic please.

I watched this last night and to be honest... are people REALLY that dumb still that they call the internet "t'internet" or fall for stupid agents. It reminded me of that Happy Go Lucky film where she's just annoyingly positive (however, the film is great).

Anyway, it's an easy watch, and I liked the Nan, but very obvious jokes and feels like it's written for the "simple folk".

Quote: EllieJP @ March 10 2010, 10:44 AM GMT

but very obvious jokes and feels like it's written for the "simple folk".

Yes, I suspect Aaron and Zooo will quite like it. Unimpressed

There were little bits I liked - the policeman with flip-flops, Mrs. McClusky as Nana. Also some nice scenery.... And the Gemma character is quite endearing - reminded me of someone.

It felt like something you'd see on CBeebies but with some additional swearing. The Happy-Go-Lucky reference is a good one but Gemma seems to be completely one-dimensional. I didn't see what we were supposed to engage or empathise with. The sub-characters seem to be more interesting than Gemma and the stereotypical Jeff.

I liked the way it was shot with a lot of outdoor scenes - but should that be the only good thing of a sitcom?

Seems a fairly standard retread of the Two Pints Of Lager/Lunch Monkeys/Coming Of Age formula.

You either did not watch The Gemma Factor or have never seen any of the above three programmes. Ok, I'll accept a few similarities with Lunch Monkeys in tone, but not the others. Not even close.

Anyway, it was a bit poo.

Quote: EllieJP @ March 10 2010, 10:44 AM GMT

I watched this last night and to be honest... are people REALLY that dumb still that they fall for stupid agents.

Do you never watch current affairs and similar magazine-type programmes?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ March 10 2010, 1:56 PM GMT

It felt like something you'd see on CBeebies but with some additional swearing.

Very good description. I'll nick it for the site.

A liberal sprinkling of cliches and some shit in a jar. I can't imagine why some people aren't happy.

I made it through all thirty minutes (I even giggled at one point, but then, 'minge' is a funny word, tee hee) and will watch it next week, too. Not sure if I'll bother after that, but it wasn't awful.

And the actress playing Gemma looks about 35, not 20.

Yes, she looked like Duffy.

She and her friend were so stupid that it was just annoying, not endearing as it was presumably supposed to be.

I did like seeing the lovely Mrs McClusky though. :)

What a load of crap with a load of annoying characters! With an unimaginative, predictable story, full of nothing but ridiculous character traits! The worst possible way to be introduced to digital ever! Angry :( Sick

So, another 'Big Top' / 'Persuasionists' anyone?

Please???

Sorry, I just love threads like that.