Sid James

Continuing on from the recent morbidity (is that a word?), today is 31 years since Sid James died. He suffered a heart attack on the opening night of The Mating Season, and died on the way to hospital, and his ghost is said to haunt the dressing room he occupied on the night. Perhaps ironically, the final episode of Bless This House's sixth series had been broadcast just 4 days beforehand.

From Hancock's Half Hour on the radio, through to its inevitable TV incarnation, on to Citizen James, the Carry On films and of course Bless This House, he was - and continues to be - one of Britain's best loved comedy personalities. And, in all honesty, probably my favourite.

The greatest comedy actor IMO.

He has great comic timing and made the carry on films he was in, very good.

Plus i loved him in Bless this house, i never tire of that series.

You had to love this guy - he made the Carry on Films. Take him out of the equation and they just weren't the same.

Unerrated. I think he could, had he lived, been even bigger and better. What a laugh?

Sid James (his character at least) seems to me to be a good measure on how things have changed. You couldn't do stuff like that today.

Everything he was in - even the straight stuff - uniformly brilliant. And, more importantly - still funny. The man himself was interesting too.

You could do that stuff today but it would have to be ironic.

Are they still doing a new carry-on? God please say the aren't.

GOD: They AREN'T

LEEVIL: Thank God!

GOD: You welcome! (Sid James style dirty laugh)

If Sid James was God... Well a lot of things would make a lot more sense.

Brilliant comedy actor. He was wonderful in Hancock's Half Hour, great in Bless this House, but my favourite role of his is as Sid Turner in the forgotton ITV Sitcom, Two in Clover. Is this scary or scary: my Mum fancies him

yep I agree Mr W. Sid James was the carry on films. I need to read a biography on him actualy.

Yes Jack, very scary.

And I agree with everyone else. Sid James made Carry Ons Carry Ons.

Good to see the Sid love spreading! (Although perhaps not as far as Jack's Mum. *shudder*)

I misinterperated it. She said he had a great face, she doesn't actually fancy him. But something that is scary is that my Aunt fancies Minty from Eastenders

He was a great comic actor.

Who, Minty or Sid?

Quote: Baumski @ April 26, 2007, 10:51 PM

Who, Minty or Sid?

Well judging by the state of Eastenders lately i'd say Minty aswell as Sid James is a great comedy actor lol

Quote: Richard Wells @ April 26, 2007, 11:34 PM

Well judging by the state of Eastenders lately i'd say Minty aswell as Sid James is a great comic actor lol

Did he or didn't he with Barbara Windsor?

Quote: David Chapman @ April 26, 2007, 11:48 PM

Did he or didn't he with Barbara Windsor?

If you mean Sid James then yes he did.

They made a drama about there affair a few years back.