Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

I've just been watching this on DVD - the Vic and Bob series that is.

I'm loving it and there's loads of laugh out loud moments. It also has the feel of those 1960s ITC shows.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

ITC please?

Television production company in the 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_ITC_Productions

Ta. Yes R&H,D does have that same production feel to it, a sort of prototype for Austin Powers. I'd be interested to learn if shows like The Champions and The Persuaders were made by them too. I wonder if the company was owned, funded or sponsored by a packing company that owned a few London warehouses with a lot of cardboard boxes in them. There is also a lovely airiness to a lot of those shows, isn't there, London always looks half empty or deserted.

The Vic and Bob one was awful, in my opinion. While as the original 60s series is timeless.

I've never seen the Vic & Bob one but would like to, to make my own mind up about it. It did get a lot of bad reviews but wasn't it mainly for their appalling acting, tho?

Watched the original as a child. Had a huge crush on Marty the ghost.
Have gone on, as an adult, to adore Mitchell in Being Human - Hmm, I sense a theme in my psyche!!
Reeves & Mortimer paid homage to the programme they loved in their youth.
I liked the spoofy feel to it all, but felt you had to have seen the original to appreciate the revisited,light-hearted version.

By its very nature the original was light hearted too.

There's aspects of the original, Reeves and Mortimer's banter - and the sexy Emilia Fox. What else could you ask for?

.. and Tom Baker!

I had great hopes for this show which was an early attempt to bring back fantasy-based doctor-who-style light entertainment. Charlie Higson did a great job and almost got it right.

The show fell down in two areas for me. Firstly they seemed unsure about how sexy and kick-ass to make the Jeanie character and seemed to be fighting a bit with Emilia Fox's performance, which was a pitch-perfect pastiche of 60s TV kung-fu dolly-bird.

Secondly it had Bob Mortimer as Jeff. I'm sorry to say it but the man laid a cold, dead, shit-covered hand on the whole production. Vic Reeves was excellent. But Mortimer just can't act. The proto-romance between him and Jeanie was unbelievable and with large parts of the production needing to be carried by Mortimer, it died on it's arse.

I do think Higson did a great job though, getting this made before they resurrected Who. And the title sequence is better than Who or Life or Mars or anything else I can think of.

Charlie Higson did recapture the essence of those shows very well.

You may be right about about Bob - I almost felt they should've been the other way round - but I can still watch it again. Only 1 episodes made. Maybe Higson should try to rework the Avengers and come uup with something better than that recent film.

I never saw the show for reasons beyond me now, and am a bit put off buying it by the negative comments. Can anyone tell me if it's worth the modest investment please.

I recall enjoying it, but have never been enamoured by the few clips I've seen of the original.

The original's worth a look at properly, it's on ITV4 at the moment I think. It does help if you like cheap old 60s shows I suppose, but I love seeing London in the 60s.

The remake - If it's just the atrocious acting I think I can live with that, as long as the storylines are inventive and has that quirkiness. I'd also like a bit of their humour to be in it. But I almost want to buy it now just to see how bad Mortimer's acting is. Bad acting can be hilarious.

It definitely has the quirkyness - plus more.

Story lines are typical 1960s.