What is it about panel games that makes them work? Page 2

Quote: AndreaLynne @ February 25 2010, 1:55 AM BST

I wish that we had them, but they wouldn't be popular because Americans don't know anything about current events and they don't understand satire.

I suspect that if BBC America would catch a clue and pick up a few of the non-news-heavy ones like QI and Would I Lie To You, they would do really well with the Wednesday night Peep Show/Inbetweeners comedy block. If nothing else, it would bring in all of us American Stephen Fry and David Mitchell fans. But this being the network that's picked up Star Trek:TNG as a Brit show, I hold out little hope.

I'd much rather watch proper comedy, that a writer worked on for a couple of years, than panel shows.

I quite like ones you can play along with.
I always enjoy "Would I lie to you"

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 25 2010, 10:19 PM BST

I quite like ones you can play along with.
I always enjoy "Would I lie to you"

I loved As Seen On TV for partly that reason. Gutted it's not been recommissioned.

'What's my line?' was good. Also, 'Call my bluff'. HIGNFY is good even though I have constantly said I hate it. MTW well, I WANT it to be good..

Quote: Pripyat @ February 28 2010, 3:14 PM BST

Aren't these shows pre-written? As in, the gags are written by a team of writers and doled out to the comedians who perform them as if they are spur of the moment jokes?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

I was disappointed to see the extras in the Shooting Stars DVD that showed them rehearsing gags that I thought were off the cuff, especially when Ulrika laughs, thought that was genuine till I saw the behind the scenes stuff.

It's so bizarre that much of it just isn't funny. I'm not surprised that even the laughter is scripted.

Vic and Bob are well known for thorough scripting.

I've always like panel shows, it's a good way to spend 30-60 minutes.

I know nothing about sport but I can happily sit through A Question of Sport.

Have I Got News For You is another that I like, they get away with alot on that one.

QI is one that I watch, both for the interesting facts and the humour.

It's the same reason that Loose Women works well, a bunch of people all having a laugh and a joke but letting you in on it.

Quote: David Carmon @ July 24 2010, 1:11 AM BST

It's the same reason that Loose Women works well, a bunch of people all having a laugh and a joke but letting you in on it.

Leave. Leave this site and never return!

I was drunk when I wrote that :(

I don't think it even reads right looking at it now.

What's wrong with Losse Women? hahaha

Everything! Cackling, moral-free witches the lot of them!

What about the role of the panel show host? I started wondering about this during Would I Lie To You?, because host Brydon often joins in with things normally kept for the panel. Why not simply have two panels, assuming they can be trusted to behave?

Quote: Dana Franks @ June 25 2010, 8:06 PM BST

I suspect that if BBC America would catch a clue and pick up a few of the non-news-heavy ones like QI

QI have been trying for years to get into America but keep failing. One of the reasons claimed is that broadcasters don't want to pay for the copyright for all the images that appear on the screens behind the panel. But then again, the show is broadcast in Australia and New Zealand, so they cope.

There is a QI in America petition with currently over 11,000 signatures, but nothing has yet to come about.

The only thing that makes most of the current crop of panel games work is the canned laughter!

Take that away and they'd die afore your very eyes!