Graham Norton Page 6

I think the format is designed to seat an eclectic mix of guests-you-wouldn't-normally-see-sharing-a-sofa together, in order to provoke an unexpected and off-beat mix of chat and banter amongst opposites. All overseen by the comic "puppetmaster" that is cheeky Graham.

However, I like your theory far more, so let's go with it... It's obviously the work of an evil cabal involving BBC Satanists, the Illuminati and possibly MI5 & Prince Philip. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 2 2010, 1:08 AM BST

I like your theory far more, so let's go with it... It's obviously the work of an evil cabal involving BBC Satanists, the Illuminati and possibly MI5 & Prince Philip. :(

And the gayers and the jewies, obviously.

Well that goes without saying...

My paranoia notwithstanding, we still have a situation in which innocent people, people with enough taste to dislike Norton, are obliged to watch him anyway, for way longer than is necessary, purely in order to listen to the celebrity they are interested in.

That can't be healthy for British culture.

The way the BBC has rigged this show does more to promote Norton's mediocre -- and, let's face it, homophobic -- "personality" than it does the talented individuals that it should be championing.

I've always felt that Graham Norton could have become really, really good, but instead decided to cop-out and take the easy route. When he first started out he had a dark edge to his wit and was a far more interesting (and in my view, funnier) comedian. I'm afraid he has rather become little more than an "out" version of Larry Grayson.

I don't necessarily agree that his shtick is homophobic, but again, it's taking the easy route - simply agreeing to be a camp funster - the one who alludes to gay sex, but only in a way which is palatable to a straight audience. It's still the gay entertainer believing the only way to survive is by making fun of his sexuality. You think we - and certainly the Beeb - would have moved on from all that rubbish.

It's the same format as his previous shows moved to fill Jonathan Ross's slot!

I think it has to have its own identity in that way - and you get more Mack because he interrupts everybody. I thought Sugar was going to get really pissed off at one point.

Mr Norton is great but sometimes it becomes just dirty without the wit!

The bit where that guy was proposing to his girlfriend and they pulled the chair thing was LOL.

Quote: Leevil @ November 3 2010, 5:12 PM GMT

The bit where that guy was proposing to his girlfriend and they pulled the chair thing was LOL.

I did like that.

Quote: Chappers @ November 2 2010, 1:19 AM GMT

and you get more Mack because he interrupts everybody.

And thank God he did, because Graham hardly spoke to him compared to how much he seemed to speak to the other guests. Errr

Quote: Leevil @ November 3 2010, 5:12 PM GMT

Oh, that awkward telly! There was the very distinct impression that she wasn't happy to be asked on national TV!

Meanwhile, I wonder what the people who used to complain about Jonathan Ross and his 'smut' taking up Friday night's thought of last night's show. Joan Rivers really didn't hold back. Funny stuff I thought, but I can imagine The Daily Mail tutting at it.

I warmed to Norton when he was substituting for Chris Evans on the Radio 2 breakfast show, okay Evans is not a difficult act to top, but being forced to cut the smut, Norton came across as witty and likeable.

I enjoyed the one a while back (from his old series) where the guy had to peddle a tricycle across the London Bridge (I think). That was amusing.

I think Norton's smut comes from his audience. Whenever an innuendo occurs he doesn't latch onto it, but knows what the audience is thinking and just goes along with it like anyone else would down the pub or whatever.

I really like Norton, the only thing I don't enjoy are the cheap shots he does during his opening monologue. They're pretty lame.