FHM Stand-Up Hero Page 4

The next competition ? They won't open for applications until next July.

Ohhhhh....I was on this tonight! Very odd watching my set from a month ago - half the gags I have since dropped/tweaked. Still, some people laughed!

What's your real world name? I will be watching this tonight and will look out for you :D

Oooh, I watched it last night and it was pretty good, except for having Jupitus on it.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 3 2010, 9:07 AM GMT

What's your real world name? I will be watching this tonight and will look out for you :D

Mark Tigwell, on 4th

Nice comments from Brendon Burns..."could be on Letterman" is going on my CV!

Oooh I know who you are from Chortle. Will keep my peepers open.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ November 3 2010, 10:40 AM GMT

Mark Tigwell, on 4th

Yes, good set, well done. I did miss the end so I'm not sure who went through, but congrats anyway.

Quote: Mr Lewis @ November 3 2010, 10:40 AM GMT

Mark Tigwell, on 4th

Your act did nowt for me, son.

But the guy who went on first - and won - was a bit special.

Just watched this. Genuinely Mark, your set was easily my favourite. The guy who won was a close second for me, but I laughed the most consistently through your set. Very impressive, especially for how long you've been gigging.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 3 2010, 11:41 PM GMT

Just watched this. Genuinely Mark, your set was easily my favourite. The guy who won was a close second for me, but I laughed the most consistently through your set. Very impressive, especially for how long you've been gigging.

Cheers nat, very hard to judge your own stuff so nice to hear from others.

And thanks don.....keeping my feet on the ground ;)

Quote: Mr Lewis @ November 3 2010, 1:16 AM GMT

Ohhhhh....I was on this tonight! Very odd watching my set from a month ago - half the gags I have since dropped/tweaked. Still, some people laughed!

Yeah, well done! I don't think it helped that, sitting at home, you couldn't get a sense of the height you were joking about... it wasn't until you were standing next to Burns that I went "oh, f**k me, that is tall!" (apologies) But, yeah, good gags - I loved the 'litter' one, and how you wrapped it back around at the end.

Josh Widdicombe was the worthy winner I think, but good job!

Not quite sure why they booked that guy with just the one gig to his name though, bit of a car crash to watch that one. Still, brave of him to get up and better than I could have done.

It's a bit annoying that they put that guy on, he doesn't seem at all interested at pursuing it. He just 'had a shot', as opposed to presumably the majority of people who wanted applied who have been slogging their guts out to do something they are passionate about. Saying that, it just means that his video must have been very good. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Mark - It's funny you mention the sense of height. A normal gig for me consists of hanging around the venue for a while before going on stage and taking a mic off an MC - so by the time I'm on stage 99% of people have seen this huge bloke and know I'm big! At worse they see me next to an MC and realise I'm pretty large.

However, at FHM the crowd where quite a bit back and the MC had to duck out of shot before we went on....so I was genuinly worried people wouldnt realise how big I was (hence I referenced it as I came on stage) The prob is I'm pretty large all round so don't look classically tall and lanky.....when I got to the studios everyone said "ohh, you must meet Tall Tim the sound guy, he's even taller than you" - when I finally met this bloke I had 3 inches and about 6 stone on him!

I even have a bit in my normal set about a one eyed guy not realising I'm big as he has no depth perception.....just thinks he's sat closer to the front than normal!

Nat - I know what you mean about "mr one gig" .... I think FHM were trying to show that anyone can do it....sort of like a Britains Got Talent Sue Bo thing. I have to admit, I watched my set cringing a bit as (at 20 gigs in) it has chaged a lot since then....God knows how it would have looked if it was my second ever! (that said, I got on the show with video of my first ever gig....which was posted on here a while ago and went down well)

Congratulations. I was talking about entering this myself, back in the Spring, but I forgot all about it. Will it happen again next year? Oh, and did you ever have to deal with any hecklers?

Mr Lewis: big congrats on your show - I thought you were great, and the pros were clearly shocked by the idea that someone without loads of experience could do such a polished set! You were my 2nd best on TV viewing and I laughed lots (if I'm honest the right guy went through, but you did a great job too). Hopefully the exposure has got you more gigs and attention, cos you deserve it.

As for the weird amateur they used, yes I'm sure they wanted a bit of X-Factor car crash TV. Problems there though: he was a bit better than they expected; but also, bad comedy is a lot more uncomfortable to watch than bad singing. It does not make for good TV.