La La Land Page 2

I saw the entire series when it ran in the States on Showtime and it's really quite brilliant. It is, in its depths, a VERY American show. The people that he speaks to are EXACTLY how LA is. He's not pulling a lot out of these people. The sad truth is that is California!

I really liked this, despite the tired style, he's a very good performer.

I'll ditto the above comment. He's a very good performer, so he is. And I say that in spite of once being punk'd by him, when he was running the Canal Cafe Theatre, 'bout 10 years or so ago, the japester!

The show is hilarious. John - do tell.........

Quote: Simon B @ May 18 2010, 3:21 PM BST

The show is hilarious. John - do tell.........

Well...

I was hiring the venue for a show I was involved in at the time. I met Mark and his assistant for a chat at the venue, discussing details, how much the venue would cost for an evening. And the cost for the time slot we were after, I think, was 70 pounds, quite reasonable.

So, I phone him at a later date to discuss availability and, putting on a rather solemn voice, he warns me that the rates for hire of the venue had gone up. From 70 pound to 300 pounds a slot. Or something just as ridiculous.

And of course, there I am like a tit, saying, 'how much?', and trying to work out how our budget could stretch to that. And he carried on with this for a good few minute before revealing that he was joking. The bloody wag!

First class episode last night.

Watched a lot of it - particularly Gary - through my fingers. First time I've done that since 1970s Dr Who.

I like Wootton as a performer and I've watched it when it's on before or after Family Guy but Ghostman draws very heavily on the Phoenix Nights "Nonce" psychic and in the audition for a TV show episode it became ever more comparable. But the tampering-with-other-people's-drinks trick is genius.

The bedroom salesman, yowser, he was a real-life parody. Amazing and yet infinitely irritating.

Agree with all the comments about the format - tired and so done to death. Wootton's presence is the saving grace.

Why is the format (by which I assume you mean the interaction with real people for comic effect) tired and done to death? People watch comedy, primarily to laugh. This is very funny. As a direct consequence of the tired and done to death format. And Wooton's presence is the saving grace ?! Just like Alan Partridge's presence in I'm Alan Partridge was the saving grace !?

I find this so awkward to watch - really cringing but I'm addicted to it. I think its great even though I feel I shouldn't! ;)

Quote: SlagA @ May 28 2010, 6:44 PM BST

but Ghostman draws very heavily on the Phoenix Nights "Nonce" psychic and in the audition for a TV show episode it became ever more comparable.

I thought the Phoenix Night Psychic was based on that Clairvoyant they used to have on LBC who's name escapes me (Christian something?)
Especially as Alex Lowe who played him was a regular on LBC himself.

Perhaps Shirley Ghostman was based on the same person.

Last one of these tonight. The last one was truly cringeworthy.

Marc W. is a great comedy character actor, who will one day make something truly exceptional.

A spin-off for the Gary character would be a start. Uncannily realistic.

Shouldn't this be in the satire bit of this website?

Should really be in Foreign, as it is a US show.

This was so cringy at times, but very funny at times too. Mark Wooton is a very good actor.

Watched them all from ep 2 and loved it. I think that MW is very good performer indeed, and probably coz I'm an old git and not in the loop, I haven't seen much like it before - although the body of evidence in previous posts seems to indicate that there is/ has been loads.

The tampering with the guy's drink last week had me in stitches.