Things that piss you off Page 868

:) OH that is bad, I had a quicker response than that when I did a course.

What are you studying Harridan?

Quote: dellas @ February 20 2012, 9:22 AM GMT

:) OH that is bad, I had a quicker response than that when I did a course.

What are you studying Harridan?

Generally the OU are very good, but if you get an unhelpful tutor there is just nothing you can do about it. I'm doing Children's Literature this year - very interesting course, lots of Freud and racism!

Quote: keewik @ February 19 2012, 11:25 PM GMT

I swear I'm coming closer and closer to killing the next person I hear using the word 'like' inappropriately.

I am like, well sorry, innit, I just can't stop

Quote: dellas @ February 20 2012, 7:22 AM GMT

:) Where will you go AJGO?...

Dunno. Got a whole week and two days before we have to be out, loads of time :)

Australian politics.
Also the media speculating if the current Prime Minister will be challanged for the job by the foreign Minister, who was the Prime Minister until the current one challanged him a few years ago.

Here's an idea, how about you attempt to run the country.

Sootyj will be spending the next hour sulking.

He just got his feedback from the other students on a train the trainers course he did. It included critique for sitting down (he'd staggered in with an infected leg wound and couldn't stand). Also for reading out some notes verbatim. Despite getting stuck with a really boring detailed subject. Generally thinking he was going on a training course. Not a refresher for other staff who'd been doing the same course for 5-10 years.

Which seemed unfair.

Knickers.

Quote: sootyj @ February 20 2012, 12:25 PM GMT

Sootyj will be spending the next hour sulking.

He just got his feedback from the other students on a train the trainers course he did. It included critique for sitting down (he'd staggered in with an infected leg wound and couldn't stand). Also for reading out some notes verbatim. Despite getting stuck with a really boring detailed subject. Generally thinking he was going on a training course. Not a refresher for other staff who'd been doing the same course for 5-10 years.

Which seemed unfair.

Knickers.

Aw, don't sulk- when you're criticised for sitting down with an infected leg wound then clearly these people are morons (actually a bit worrying in your line of work)

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 9:11 AM GMT

Frankly, you're being unreasonable to expect an immediate response to your query."

:O That's awful.

Get this woman to bitch slap them for you...

Quote: AJGO @ February 20 2012, 1:06 PM GMT

Aw, don't sulk- when you're criticised for sitting down with an infected leg wound then clearly these people are morons (actually a bit worrying in your line of work)

Yeh I know but it's what happens when you hang out in the twilight world of the midlevel managers.

More irritated that they bundled new trainers and refreshers into one group.

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 9:30 AM GMT

I'm doing Children's Literature this year - very interesting course, lots of Freud and racism!

Which particular authors? Lewis Carroll? C.S. Lewis? W.E. Johns? Richmal Crompton? Enid Blyton? Frank Richards? Or more modern? J.K. Rowling?

Quote: reds @ February 20 2012, 12:07 PM GMT

Also the media speculating if the current Prime Minister will be challanged for the job by the foreign Minister, who was the Prime Minister until the current one challanged him a few years ago.

Here's an idea, how about you attempt to run the country.

Sorry, but people get the governments they deserve. Last time I was back in Australia, I noticed severe levels of dumbness and earnestness.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 20 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

Which particular authors? Lewis Carroll? C.S. Lewis? W.E. Johns? Richmal Crompton? Enid Blyton? Frank Richards? Or more modern? J.K. Rowling?

Actually not really focussed on those authors at all. Touched on Lewis Carroll briefly and C.S Lewis only in terms of Philip Pullman's relationship with him. A couple of essays on Blyton in terms of the divide between popular fiction and prestigious fiction. The main texts have been by R.L. Stevenson, Louisa May Alcott, J.M. Barrie, Arthur Ransome, Philippa Pearce, Mildred D. Taylor, Philip Pullman, Beatrix Potter, Melvin Burgess, Beverley Naidoo, Jamila Gavin and Philip Reeve. Though a lot of time was spent on folk and fairy tales and magazines and chap books at the start of the course so it's been fairly well-balanced, chronologically.

Recently re-read all the Ransome books. Jolly spiffing they were too.

Quote: sootyj @ February 20 2012, 1:26 PM GMT

Yeh I know but it's what happens when you hang out in the twilight world of the midlevel managers.

True. True.

Quote: Marc P @ February 20 2012, 3:16 PM GMT

Recently re-read all the Ransome books. Jolly spiffing they were too.

I couldn't get through Swallows and Amazons - pretty much set against it when I read that Ransome had based it on real children, but that he had switched the ages of the girl (who was older) and boy so that the boy could occupy the more natural authoritative role and the girl could do the domestic tasks. That and all the bloody sailing.

Yes. It's a brilliant book. :)

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 3:07 PM GMT

Actually not really focussed on those authors at all. Touched on Lewis Carroll briefly and C.S Lewis only in terms of Philip Pullman's relationship with him. A couple of essays on Blyton in terms of the divide between popular fiction and prestigious fiction. The main texts have been by R.L. Stevenson, Louisa May Alcott, J.M. Barrie, Arthur Ransome, Philippa Pearce, Mildred D. Taylor, Philip Pullman, Beatrix Potter, Melvin Burgess, Beverley Naidoo, Jamila Gavin and Philip Reeve. Though a lot of time was spent on folk and fairy tales and magazines and chap books at the start of the course so it's been fairly well-balanced, chronologically.

Oops. I've never heard of Mildred D. Taylor, Beverley Naidoo or Jamila Gavin. Are their books fun to read?

Quote: Kenneth @ February 20 2012, 3:31 PM GMT

Oops. I've never heard of Mildred D. Taylor, Beverley Naidoo or Jamila Gavin. Are their books fun to read?

Mildred Taylor is brilliant. Well worth reading as an adult. 'Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry' is about a black family in 1930s Mississippi and it doesn't shrink away from subjects like lynchings and burnings one bit. I read it when I was a kid, it's very powerful.

Haven't read the other two yet, they're not for the next few weeks.