Things that piss you off Page 1,800

Our wonderful royal family

The most tedious pointless soap opera ever

To think millions of pounds from the government go to this bunch of obscenely wealthy bunch of cretins every year

Quote: Chappers @ 12th March 2021, 7:12 PM

I really want to know how to loosen up my constipation whilst I'm having my evening meal.

Weird or what

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th March 2021, 7:29 PM

To think millions of pounds from the government go to this bunch of obscenely wealthy bunch of cretins every year

You've been brainwashed, into a common fallacy.

The royal money comes from the Crown Estates income, and only part of that anyway 25% originally (I think) plus a bit more for upkeep of the royal palaces. The rest is kept by the Treasury. I.e the income from the Crown Estates (which nominally belongs to the sovereign) are TAXED at over 60%.

If the Crown Estates didn't 'belong' to the Sovereign, they would almost certainly be owned as shares in a Limited Company and so the profit would be taxed at the business rate which is 19%, (due to be increased by the last Budget). Most of the profit would go as share dividends to the rich people who had bought the Crown Estates shares on the dissolution of the Monarchy.

If the Monarchy didn't pay for the upkeep of the Royal Palaces, they would almost certainly go to the National Trust and that would REALLY have to pay for the upkeep from the citizens' taxation. I doubt that the UK population would want the Royal Palaces to be abandoned and to fall apart, even if the Monarchy was abolished.

As for security costs etc, I bet our Royal Security costs less than the security costs of the President of the USA. and/or the head of state of many other countries. Or do you want the UK to run without any Head-of-State or even with Boris as Head-Of-State?

~~~~~

There are also tales that Trump managed to filter off much monies during his 4 years as Pres. USA, probably far, far more than the Monarchy has 'cost' the UK.

Quote: billwill @ 13th March 2021, 2:01 AM

You've been brainwashed, into a common fallacy.

The royal money comes from the Crown Estates income, and only part of that anyway 25% originally (I think) plus a bit more for upkeep of the royal palaces. The rest is kept by the Treasury. I.e the income from the Crown Estates (which nominally belongs to the sovereign) are TAXED at over 60%.

If the Crown Estates didn't 'belong' to the Sovereign, they would almost certainly be owned as shares in a Limited Company and so the profit would be taxed at the business rate which is 19%, (due to be increased by the last Budget). Most of the profit would go as share dividends to the rich people who had bought the Crown Estates shares on the dissolution of the Monarchy.

If the Monarchy didn't pay for the upkeep of the Royal Palaces, they would almost certainly go to the National Trust and that would REALLY have to pay for the upkeep from the citizens' taxation. I doubt that the UK population would want the Royal Palaces to be abandoned and to fall apart, even if the Monarchy was abolished.

As for security costs etc, I bet our Royal Security costs less than the security costs of the President of the USA. and/or the head of state of many other countries. Or do you want the UK to run without any Head-of-State or even with Boris as Head-Of-State?

~~~~~

There are also tales that Trump managed to filter off much monies during his 4 years as Pres. USA, probably far, far more than the Monarchy has 'cost' the UK.

Well said Bill, couldn't have put it better myself. So there, Mr. Lofthouse. :P

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th March 2021, 7:29 PM

The royal baby weighed just over eight pounds. And just over eight pounds is what it'll cost the tax payer every second of its pointless little existence... It always cracks me up when Brits defend the royals cos they 'bring in money through tourism.' Three royal weddings cost 151 million Euros - 'Yeah, but last month we sold a postcard of a London bus. Balance.'
I think royal family are good. During worst European crisis since Bros is good idea to spend 5305530 pounds a millisecond on royals especially Kate because she's pretty. Angela Merkelle also important for country but not as pretty in my opinion. Royals family also bring in money for tourism: every 6 months a Japanese fellow spends 20 p on a postcard, this covers the F**kingham Palace and crown jewels and Royal Yacht, and everything left over go to 'the state', which is English for 'the royal family'. Tourism UK's only industry, we very welcomes at foreigners especially the French. In 1980s Andrew said 'We called Sarah Ferguson Fergie' so they also have fab sense of humour and peoples like us too. A homeless begged 50 p and when royal baby born it spent it on bread insteads of celebrating Royal Birth with us in pub! That homeless sucks!

Quote: billwill @ 13th March 2021, 2:01 AM

Yeah! Yesterday a guy kicked my head in, stole all my money and called my family c**ts. But there's this other guy who kicked my head in, stole all my money and called my family total c**ts, so the first guy is nicer.

I see MM missed the point again.

I'm no great fan of the current members of the royal family but the question that needs to be addressed before we consider consigning them to history is what would be a viable alternative, as head of state, to the monarchy.

Do we really need or want more elections (Brenda of Bristol would be aghast) to appoint more gravy train, corrupt politicians? And why do we think it would be any more cost effective, given the costs incurred in running, for example, the French presidency (replacing Buckingham Palace with the Élysée Palace) or the US presidency (replacing the costs of some members of the Royal family's private air trips with the upkeep of Air Force 1), together with their entourage and staff? And would the prospect of the election of a British President Trump or a presidential Boris Johnson really placate everybody?

When you go into a public loo and it stinks. Nobody to be seen. Then when you go out someone goes in and thinks it was you.

It said, Put only toilet paper down the toilet. So I crapped on the floor.

I'm not even a fan of boxing so I was disgusted when I heard that the BBC were talking about covering Cage Fighting.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th March 2021, 9:15 PM

I'm not even a fan of boxing so I was disgusted when I heard that the BBC were talking about covering Cage Fighting.

It's come a long way since the brutal days of UFC and is already on Freeview channels. It's a lot more regulated than it used to be to prevent serious injury and refs are quick to jump in.

Also very satisfying when someone cocky loses like this:

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 13th March 2021, 8:39 AM

The royal baby weighed just over eight pounds. And just over eight pounds is what it'll cost the tax payer every second of its pointless little existence.

Harsh words about a baby that didn't chose to be born in to privilege and who knows what it will grow up to achieve.

The Grammy Awards. Same old faces nominated. How overrated is Beyonce? Harry Styles wins for his watermelon cobblers. Dua Lipa is giving it her "I'm so cool and stylish schtick". Billie Eilish with her "I'm just like so alternative and detached maaan" fakery.
Its as if Shakin Stevens, New Seekers, and Peters and Lee never happened.

I've never found the sight of two people fighting and attempting to inflict injury on one another particularly entertaining.

WWE wrestling however is brilliantly entertaining.They are not trying to hurt one another but there is still a big risk from injury and they have to be super fit and agile.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 15th March 2021, 10:06 PM

Harsh words about a baby that didn't chose to be born in to privilege and who knows what it will grow up to achieve.

A baby who knows what it'll achieve? Smart.
Who knows? Who cares? Maybe it'll say some really interesting facts about architecture or invent a nickname as awesome as Fergie or bore the shit out of the world on Oprah. Well worth the salary.
I bought Chris Eubank a sandwich. Gotta roll with the punches.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 16th March 2021, 7:26 AM

A baby who knows what it'll achieve? Smart.

Laughing out loud