Things that piss you off Page 1,792

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th November 2020, 10:36 AM

Remember when the dustbin men came and they had to walk down your path and lift the heavy metal dustbins and tip them in the lorry. Then take them back down your drive.

I clearly (obviously!) remember those old dust carts too, where the men even came into your back garden and emptied your bin into like a larger open bin (with all the fire ash dust swirling everywhere!), then carry it on their shoulder to empty into a dustcart that was about a third of the size of what we see now. So they didn't actually take your bin to the dustcart.

Clearly we didn't have so much rubbish then! No packaging to speak of, apart from a few tin cans, and things like glass bottles were 100% recyclable/returnable.

Have you ever watched Nothing to Declare? Fascinating stories but in a half hour programme they go backwards and forwards between 2 stories and when they go back to one they have to repeat everything that happened previously.

It could all be over in 10 minutes.

I love the image of whisky, it looks so enticing in pictures - but it tastes bloody awful!

Even Malt?
That's nice and smooth :)

LIKE A LOAD OF FUCKING SHEEP Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st November 2020, 11:04 AM

LIKE A LOAD OF FUCKING SHEEP Angry

Don't forget the ghastly - and ever increasingly used (even on the BBC) - " snuck". ugh

Change the flags and stick Trump on it and you could use that picture in the USA

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st November 2020, 5:24 PM

Don't forget the ghastly - and ever increasingly used (even on the BBC) - " snuck". ugh

Those were the ones that quickly sprung to mind "heads up" etc. when I put that together, and sadly I've now thought of more, such as "seasons" for series.Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Angry

Effin' Yank influences.

If anyone else has any suggestions for American words that have insidiously crept into the English language, please post on this thread and I'll do the graphic again with those words.

So here's your starter for ten.............

Snuck
Seasons

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd November 2020, 3:26 PM

Those were the ones that quickly sprung to mind "heads up" etc. when I put that together, and sadly I've now thought of more, such as "seasons" for series.Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Angry

Effin' Yank influences.

If anyone else has any suggestions for American words that have insidiously crept into the English language, please post on this thread and I'll do the graphic again with those words.

So here's your starter for ten.............

Snuck
Seasons

Yes.

Winky, twinky, binky, hooters, john, sarsapirilla, grits and bint.

Also, "round the ol' joanna".

School careers advisors. Forty years ago the destroyed my dreams by telling me I would never achieve my ideal vocation. Who says I could never be Spider-Man?

So................................

Quote: paulted @ 23rd November 2020, 8:28 PM

School careers advisors. Forty years ago the destroyed my dreams by telling me I would never achieve my ideal vocation. Who says I could never be Spider-Man?

A few years ago I read of a man who left school in 1970 (as did I) and took up a clerical job with the FA in London, where he shared the use of offices with Alf Ramsey. He progressed over the years to become the official FA Archivist.

Given that all my school reports said something to the effect that I spent too much time thinking & talking about football, wouldn't that have been the ideal vacancy for my careers master to put me in touch with? Instead I spent 46 years doing a clerical job elsewhere, counting the days to retirement. Ever since I read about this chap, I have never forgiven my careers master (whoever he was).

My school careers adviser took some of us to Foxs biscuit factory to watch what a biscuit packer does.
Then to a rag mill...They had high hopes for me.

"Bint" is an arabic word meaning woman.

"shufti bint" means "look at that woman" (used in the same manner as a wolf whistle ?)

British (troops) were using that phrase many many years ago.

Ken Dodd's wife wore a semi-shufti nighty