Things that piss you off Page 1,739

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 9:52 PM

How does aluminium become..

Alloooooominum

From the name of the oxide, alumina, I believe.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th June 2018, 10:00 PM

From the name of the oxide, alumina, I believe.

But it's not spelled like that - or don't you take any notice of spelling. Like Erbs

Quote: Chappers @ 25th June 2018, 10:01 PM

But it's not spelled like that - or don't you take any notice of spelling.

I believe that's the universal spelling for alumina. I also think that I've heard that a British scientist decided that aluminum didn't sound regal enough.

The herb thing comes down to the fact that we took on the French pronunciation. That happened with a lot of words.

I asked because I hear it a lot on Judge Judy so if I see an episode where someone says "So Judge, the pow-leese turn up in their veh-i-cle and ask if I seen the Alloooooominum but I say I don't got no Alloooooominum and that's when they ask who had the erbs but I say I don't got no erbs" I'll be sure to share it.

I'm not being mean towards the people who speak like that because it's just how they are brought up to speak.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th June 2018, 10:22 PM

I asked because I hear it a lot on Judge Judy so if I see an episode where someone says "So Judge, the pow-leese turn up in their veh-i-cle and ask if I seen the Alloooooominum but I say I don't got no Alloooooominum and that's when they ask who had the erbs but I say I don't got no erbs" I'll be sure to share it.

I'm not being mean towards the people who speak like that because it's just how they are brought up to speak.

They show Judge Judy over there? Please accept my apologies as an American.

Do they show COPS over there? That's Americana's seedy underbelly at its best.

Holy shit - COPS is brilliant

I used to watch like 5 episodes one after the other

Quote: DaButt @ 25th June 2018, 10:33 PM

They show Judge Judy over there? Please accept my apologies as an American.

Do they show COPS over there? That's Americana's seedy underbelly at its best.

Haha I love Judge Judy. I can watch it for hours on the CBS channels that I get with Freeview. A lot of channels I don't get like Sky One, Gold and Nat Geo means I miss a lot and Cops is one of my earliest memories of getting juiced up. My dad got NTL cable sometime around 1997ish and he loved cops so I would watch it with him back then. Very gritty stuff and shows how diverse policing is there. A good British cop show is Road Wars because they don't mess about. Another one is called Coppers but that's more behind the scenes and less action. Still very hard hitting at the time because police had never been that open about their emotions on camera before.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th June 2018, 9:31 PM

Another thing the Yanks do that pisses me off is pronounce Herbs as 'Erbs. There's a f**king "H" in front.

Precisely. Same with homage. Unless we're speaking French, the 'h' is pronounced. Unless we are pretentious pseuds. The f**kwits who give an "an oh-marge to urbs" should be consistent and start saying "Unealthy umans ave a abit of going to ospital."

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th June 2018, 10:59 PM

Haha I love Judge Judy. I can watch it for hours

Jesus f**king wept.

Quote: lofthouse @ 25th June 2018, 10:56 PM

Holy shit - COPS is brilliant

Surely you jest?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th June 2018, 10:22 PM

There's an expiry date on blaming one's upbringing for how one speaks and behaves. As soon as a person is old enough to read and speak and imitate, they can choose how they would like to speak. The Judge Judy COPS Ladybird Guide to Elegant Elocution is not the only book on the market.

Quote: Kenneth @ 26th June 2018, 6:16 AM

Precisely. Same with homage. Unless we're speaking French, the 'h' is pronounced. Unless we are pretentious pseuds. The f**kwits who give an "an oh-marge to urbs" should be consistent and start saying "Unealthy umans ave a abit of going to ospital."

That's right. It's Hommidge - like Porridge.

Bloody cyclists on country roads (actually on any road) especially when they travel in large gangs, and especially if they're on single-track roads, and even more especially when they're on single track roads and won't use passing places to allow cars past.

Quote: Briosaid @ 29th June 2018, 6:19 PM

Bloody cyclists on country roads (actually on any road) especially when they travel in large gangs, and especially if they're on single-track roads, and even more especially when they're on single track roads and won't use passing places to allow cars past.

...and also when they're on the pavement too. In fact ANYWHERE!

Well at least lycra is supposed to affect their fertility so they shouldn't produce any offspring.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2018, 9:07 PM

...and also when they're on the pavement too. In fact ANYWHERE!

Well at least lycra is supposed to affect their fertility so they shouldn't produce any offspring.

We are in agreement for once. Again I suspect you have Scottish blood.

Quote: Briosaid @ 1st July 2018, 10:18 PM

We are in agreement for once. Again I suspect you have Scottish blood.

Probably that black pudding I had in Edinburgh.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st July 2018, 10:58 PM

Probably that black pudding I had in Edinburgh.

Sounds rather tiring.

I'm so f**ked off with all these platitudes all over Facebook. I reckon they just randomly search words off the Net: 'Happiness? Happiness is when you don't have to steal a flea from your father's pubic wig because she knows it was lunchtime next month.'