Things that piss you off Page 1,729

Quote: Briosaid @ 5th April 2018, 7:28 PM

I agree. They're lazy bastards who should be lynched for not being able to speak English, and lynched alongside the idiot teachers who failed them.
NOTE: I'm feeling extreme tonight.

Hang on a minute.

Not being able to speak English properly?

Pots and kettles spring to mind.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th April 2018, 9:38 PM

Hang on a minute.

Not being able to speak English properly?

Pots and kettles spring to mind.

You have a very strange mind. I'm bilingual - English and Scots, a language in its own right, as Mary Queen of Scots would tell you if she were (note the use of the subjunctive) still alive.

Quote: Briosaid @ 5th April 2018, 10:18 PM

You have a very strange mind.

Why thank you!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th April 2018, 12:04 PM

1. Starting the answer to a question with the word "so..."

Yes, yes and yes Angry Angry Link to the Pointless thread .... Where are you from/what do you do? So I'm from Brighton. So I'm at uni etc.

"In terms of" - count the times it's said in the F1 coverage - "Hamilton is quicker than Vettel in terms of lap times"

and "coming to terms with". It means a bit of give and take from two parties. You are not coming to terms with the death of a pet, you're getting used to it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th April 2018, 11:53 AM

Was it Butch?

His name was Andy, still is I suppose.

RIP

Quote: Briosaid @ 5th April 2018, 7:28 PM

I agree. They're lazy bastards who should be lynched for not being able to speak English, and lynched alongside the idiot teachers who failed them.
NOTE: I'm feeling extreme tonight.

It was a gag, and my ultimate point was the opposite. I love Italian and I hate it being f**ked up by ''''''''''trendy'''''''''' USisms.
It always makes me laugh when people call the French 'arrogant' for not letting American shite into the language and keeping it pure. The fact Yankees want the entire world to accept English isn't arrogant at all, is it?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th April 2018, 4:24 PM

It was a gag, and my ultimate point was the opposite. I love Italian and I hate it being f**ked up by ''''''''''trendy'''''''''' USisms.
It always makes me laugh when people call the French 'arrogant' for not letting American shite into the language and keeping it pure. The fact Yankees want the entire world to accept English isn't arrogant at all, is it?

You have it right. I have great respect for the French for not allowing arrogant foreigners to bugger about with their language.

I like their rather disdainful name for custard.
creme anglaise

And Italian should be the only language used in music.

I don't speak French, but c'est la vie.
People who never finish their senten.

Quote: fasty @ 6th April 2018, 9:58 AM

Yes, yes and yes Angry Angry Link to the Pointless thread .... Where are you from/what do you do? So I'm from Brighton. So I'm at uni etc.

So - yes - I noticed and was annoyed by that. Everything he said.

Quote: fasty @ 6th April 2018, 9:58 AM

To make it a perfect Incredible Hulk moment they go up in pitch at the end of every sentence. It's a style of enunciation that seems to come from Australia because everyone does it there. It's giving a statement but with the vocal sound of a question and it shouldn't bother me, no....but it does. Within minutes of watching that Australian airport TV show I'm so enraged I tear off all my clothes and try to pick up and throw the nearest person.

Hearing radio announcers who are too lazy to pronounce the letter G at the end of words such as Learnin' , Runnin' , Livin' .

It's not that they can't. It's just sheer laziness.

When they say Singing they say Singin'. If they really had a problem they'd say Sin'in'.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 10th April 2018, 10:57 PM

To make it a perfect Incredible Hulk moment they go up in pitch at the end of every sentence. It's a style of enunciation that seems to come from Australia because everyone does it there. It's giving a statement but with the vocal sound of a question and it shouldn't bother me, no....but it does. Within minutes of watching that Australian airport TV show I'm so enraged I tear off all my clothes and try to pick up and throw the nearest person.

I've been here for 12 years and I've only noticed young and youngish women do it.It is annoying.

Everyone says "two times " nowadays not "twice",that bugs me as well.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th April 2018, 11:38 PM

Hearing radio announcers who are too lazy to pronounce the letter G at the end of words such as Learnin' , Runnin' , Livin' .

It's not that they can't. It's just sheer laziness.

When they say Singing they say Singin'. If they really had a problem they'd say Sin'in'.

What's your position on the Serious Jockin' segment every Friday afternoon on BBC Radio 2?

The sing songy voices of some TV news reporters that are trying to copy American reporters.
The words are rattled off at a pace going up and down in pitch until the end of the sentence where they invariably end with a low pitched croak.

Ah, Iv'e had it explained to me.

B.S.