Things that piss you off Page 1,699

Baristas who think having a "personality" makes up for a s**t cup of coffee.

The word 'Baristas' - someone who basically works a kettle

Nicotine replacement therapy

It's a racket!

TV has just been in danger, yet again, of having a brick hurled at it due to the pain-in-the-neck woman who keeps saying nucUlUr. She's the same idiot who can't say 'ing' (says 'in'). I've nothing at all against local accents but on national TV, surely people can make the effort to speak clearly.

Bring back Border TV!

Quote: keewik @ 6th February 2017, 12:19 AM

TV has just been in danger, yet again, of having a brick hurled at it due to the pain-in-the-neck woman who keeps saying nucUlUr. She's the same idiot who can't say 'ing' (says 'in'). I've nothing at all against local accents but on national TV, surely people can make the effort to speak clearly.

Ah dinna ken wha' ya asayin' lassie. Hoots Wave

By the way, now I have your attention, :D I've posted a couple of times on me Punch Cartoon thread (Mr Punch in Scotland - too painful to comment? :P ) about why the people from Aberdeen get specific mention for their alleged tightness?

Will take a look.

Have seen them all and have posted.

Fankoo. :) And hmmm, yes as I have said to you before - the two holidays I had in Glasgow with my father-in-law's family, I found the Scottish people (or could that be only in Glasgow? ;) ) more than generous and so was always perplexed as to where the money tightness came from.

Incidentally, haven't mentioned this before, but we stayed with my wife's Great Aunt in Earl Street, which I presume you know? I have a photo of me standing at the doorway to the tenement block somewhere, which I'll post one day when I find it!

I don't think I've ever actually been along Earl Street but I certainly know the 2 parallel roads, South Street and Dumbarton Road. In fact my first driving lesson started off in South Street.

This 'selfie' culture.

I can't actually believe that some people are actually 'addicted' to it as all they do all day is take hundreds of selfies of themselves, alone in their room, post them online and wait for 'likes' as a means of approval and a way of defining themselves. Is so sad as if comments aren't adequately favourable (i.e. this behaviour plays right into hands of trolls) this leads to deep insecurity and a profound desperation to change their looks with surgery.

I just don't understand why we have become so image-obsessed . . . and I also think this over-polished, botoxed and caked with war paint look is ugly.

It annoys me because back when I was a teen, if my peers knew I'd been preening to within an inch of my life and taking photos of myself, I would probably have got my head kicked in for being vain! It was easy then, cos if you were a bit of a rebel, you just dyed your hair blue and wore odd over-the-knee stripy socks to school to define your visual individuality like I did, but now, the competition seems to be how sexually desirable and available (male and female) you can make yourself look, rather than concentrating on developing a personality?!

We are all insecure at that age, and you just get over it - unless your appearance is constantly judged online as you feel pressure to comply as all your mates are doing the same.

Tragic.

I agree and it's not just teens doing it.It's people old enough to know better.
In our school you were branded dangerously subversive if you wore "Hush Puppies" (suede shoes)

Quote: wigwam willy @ 7th February 2017, 4:44 AM

I agree and it's not just teens doing it.It's people old enough to know better.
In our school you were branded dangerously subversive if you wore "Hush Puppies" (suede shoes)

I am not 'old' yet but feel stupid even just trying to get a thumbnail shot for own website (& I do appreciate a comfortable shoe having messed my feet right up as a teen with achilles tendonitis from wearing uncomfortable ones!).

But I wouldn't be that age again right now as young people face such a tough time ahead of them generally. I doubt I would do the selfie thing as have always been a non-conformist, but getting one's own place in UK now is virtually impossible without big financial help from parents. I got 100% mortgage for my first place at 19 but that's unheard of now, so if you come out of university with debt (where you went to potentially increase your earning potential) you're screwed so is common for many to still be living with parents into their thirties.

And as for choosing a career . . . I've had trouble recently finding work in my profession, but ironically it's one of the few professions that won't be threatened by robots.

Eh?

On the plus side though, you have thousands of photos and videos documenting your teenage years. I don't think I had a phone with a camera until I was about 20 (or older?) so I have hardly any photos of being a teenager. :(

Quote: keewik @ 6th February 2017, 6:44 PM

I don't think I've ever actually been along Earl Street but I certainly know the 2 parallel roads, South Street and Dumbarton Road. In fact my first driving lesson started off in South Street.

Oh that's a pity because on our second trip in 1967 somebody broke the radio aerial on my Cortina as it was parked outside where we were staying and I was hoping you might have known who done it.

Never mind, perhaps you can put some feelers out for me and see if anyone can help bring the culprit to justice?