Things that piss you off Page 1,678

Quote: fopdoodle @ 24th June 2016, 12:18 AM BST

Pop-ups. An old grievance I know, but am a tad miffed they are still so prevalent, because has any pop-up ad in the history of the internet ever successfully generated any business or sale whatsoever?

Same applies to emails generated automatically upon making a purchase from a website so you have to "unsubscribe" which is not always made that easy. And why does it take over a week in some cases? My inbox was filling up with this crap from one outfit several times every day so had to spend a lot of my valuable time manually deleting all of it, then deleting again - none of which had been read, as it's the equivalent to someone approaching you in the street and saying "buy this!" in your face, then saying "I've also got this" and "what about this too?".

All this sort of marketing does is make you associate the company doing it with irritation and contempt, so makes you avoid altogether . . . and if I am inclined to entertain the idea of purchasing a pistol shaped condiment set, that's what search engines are for (when's DaButt's birthday? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gun-Salt-Pepper-Cruet-Set-Novelty-Gift-Ceramic-Black-White-Boxed-/172221020996) Cool

Even more worse than pop ups are pop unders. The ads you don't know are there until you close down your browser windows and have no idea where they came from. They just anger people and only a clueless moron would use them for marketing so I make sure my browser blocks them. pop unders are the underhanded and decietful tactics of internet marketing.

I completely agree that they are more likely to make someone avoid a website than do the call to action out of annoyance alone. Something almost as bad are buisness cards with generic domains like @gmail.com or @btinernet.com instead of a unique domain. These days it's so cheap to host your own website and so important for generating buisiness there is no excuse so going with a free service or one included by your ISP can make it look cheap. Unless you know the tricks to disguise it which I learnt when I hosted some domains on the AOL Hometown service. I used the free hosting space on AOL to FTP the website files and the control panel of the domain host to set up URL forwarding which resulted in a website that looked professional but was made with free hosting and a £10 domain registration.

Gleb isn't returning to Strictly this year.

Teary Teary Teary

Quote: zooo @ 28th June 2016, 11:51 AM BST

Gleb isn't returning to Strictly this year.

Teary Teary Teary

:O Teary How do you know?

They just announced it. He's got 'family commitments' apparently.
There is a new guy called Gorka instead.

http://www.strictlyspoiler.com/2016/06/28/strictly-come-dancing-2016-pro-line-up-revealed/

Hopefully his wife is pregnant or something and he'll come back the year after. Sigh.

Quote: zooo @ 28th June 2016, 12:41 PM BST

They just announced it. He's got 'family commitments' apparently.
There is a new guy called Gorka instead.

http://www.strictlyspoiler.com/2016/06/28/strictly-come-dancing-2016-pro-line-up-revealed/

Hopefully his wife is pregnant or something and he'll come back the year after. Sigh.

I'll just have to turn my attention to Giovanni.

I was supposed to go down to the south coast to visit a friend, so me being me, I booked an overnight stay in a B&B as I didn't want to spend five plus hours on a train in one day. The 'so-called friend' emailed me yesterday to say that his parents' Golden Anniversary celebrations were taking place up in Essex on that particular date.

Tosser. Another one for my ever-increasing list of enemies.

Go anyway, and do something to his house while it's empty.

Quote: Loopey @ 28th June 2016, 3:07 PM BST

I'll just have to turn my attention to Giovanni.

Giovanni and lovely Aljaz.

I really loved Gleb's choreography though. It was always a bit weird and different. :(

Quote: zooo @ 28th June 2016, 3:19 PM BST

Go anyway, and do something to his house while it's empty.

A nice thought, but from the pictures he posted when he tried to sell his former flat (because it was being repossed ...) it looks a right old shitehole :(

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 28th June 2016, 3:09 PM BST

I was supposed to go down to the south coast to visit a friend, so me being me, I booked an overnight stay in a B&B as I didn't want to spend five plus hours on a train in one day. The 'so-called friend' emailed me yesterday to say that his parents' Golden Anniversary celebrations were taking place up in Essex on that particular date.

Tosser. Another one for my ever-increasing list of enemies.

Where and when? If it sounds good maybe I'll take the booking and - maybe - even offer to pay for it!

Quote: Chappers @ 28th June 2016, 7:35 PM BST

Where and when? If it sounds good maybe I'll take the booking and - maybe - even offer to pay for it!

It was only for a single person occupancy of a double room. In retrospect, I think I should have taken it and offered to share the bed with a random BCGer?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 28th June 2016, 11:15 PM BST

It was only for a single person occupancy of a double room. In retrospect, I think I should have taken it and offered to share the bed with a random BCGer?

I say.....ding dong. Hug Wave

Having had sniffles and sneezes/sore throat on and off for last 24 hours. Wish my body would just make up it's mind as to if I'm getting the office cold or not.

Unoriginal illustrators of children's books. Pick up just about any illustrated kids' book from the UK these days -- and they are unashamedly ripping off Quentin Blake (the geezer best known for illustrating Roald Dahl's later kids' books). Is there not a modicum of desire among book publishers for original illustrators? Reeks of stale plagiarism.

Quote: Kenneth @ 29th June 2016, 5:18 PM BST

Unoriginal illustrators of children's books. Pick up just about any illustrated kids' book from the UK these days -- and they are unashamedly ripping off Quentin Blake (the geezer best known for illustrating Roald Dahl's later kids' books). Is there not a modicum of desire among book publishers for original illustrators? Reeks of stale plagiarism.

Welcome to the neoconservative world.

If you believe that jokes aren't free, the American comedian Steve Hofstetter is trying to get comedians all over the world to share this hashtag on Twitter.

#JokesArentFree

Because our jokes are our babies. And no one should steal our babies, but I'm not a comedian in the professional sense and most of you are, so it carries a bit more weight if you're the ones who share this.