Things that piss you off Page 1,210

I used to like cross country running. I'd catch the bus at the end of the road and go home for a while before catching it part of the way back and then running the rest of the way. The bus drove past a cafe in which most of the teachers were sitting.

We had a lot of problems and many run ins with teachers when our children were at school. Our sons ended up doing evening classes and having private lessons in some subjects to get them where they wanted to be. It shouldn't have been necessary.

Quote: Sinon @ March 13 2013, 11:31 PM GMT

It amazes me how lots of people have the arrogance to think they can do other peoples jobs better than them, and make ridiculous, sweeping, statements about an entire profession based on the one bad one of the 0.00001% of those they've met.

Everything is always somebody else's fault because fewer and fewer people seem to want to take any personal responsibility for anything ever.

Do you have kids Sinon?? The system is a failing a lot of children and parents, and I mean big time! All its about these days is numbers in class rooms and the school being full. The schools and the feck arse teachers are failing Big time to teach what actually needs teaching.

My oldest daughter was sent home because she was wearing a cardigan ( a school labeled one I may add) instead of a jumper! where is the justice in that??

my other daughter was sent home because she had a furry pencil case!! where is the justice in that?? as long as they are at school what does it matter? and that is my argument every time. There seems to be a fear in this c**t-ry with parents being too scared to confront teachers and heads of boards for fear of being taken to court. but let me tell you, I'M FUCKIN NOT!

Teachers these days are lazy, arrogant, ignorant, thick as pig shit, over paid wankers of the highest degree!

Some*

I've known very many excellent teachers and schools as well as rubbish ones.
I'm not afraid to do what needs to be done to ensure a decent education and have been to many high level meetings and tribunals for my children and as a befriender to other families. I used assertiveness, educational psychology, The Childrens' Act and the Government's Code of Practice for Education. I didn't find it necessary to be aggressive.

This was several years ago and I am dismayed to find that the goal posts keep moving and my neices and nephews are going through the same thing. The standard varies from school to school, even class to class and I don't understand how this is still allowed to happen.

On the other side of the coin, some Teachers I know are given an impossible workload, insufficient training, little support and responsibilities beyond their capabilities and experience.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ March 14 2013, 10:16 AM GMT

All its about these days is numbers in class rooms and the school being full.

I have problems with this, too.

Our headmaster spouted statistics that while pupils with over 95% attendance record passed 75% of their exams, those with under 95% attendance only got 35%
at the same grade. He then went on to say that this statistic
clearly showed that the more a child goes to school, the more likely they are to pass their exams.

Of course, attending classes generally helps your education, but here he was telling us that this statistical correlation implies a causation. It doesn't.

Of the 'under 95% attendees', how many only came in twice a week, or
perhaps didn't ever turn up? They probably failed the most
exams, yet we're being asked to compare them to pupils with over 95%
attendance. Surely it would be more meaningful to compare pupils who
attended between 90% and to 95% of the time, with the over 95%
brigade? This graph is says it better:

http://www.judgemeadow.leicester.sch.uk/_files/images/Care%20and%20Support/56EB0B35EB5F3F018C3937571B05E0CC.png

Do you have kids Sinon?? The system is a failing a lot of children and parents, and I mean big time! All its about these days is numbers in class rooms and the school being full. The schools and the feck arse teachers are failing Big time to teach what actually needs teaching.

My oldest daughter was sent home because she was wearing a cardigan ( a school labeled one I may add) instead of a jumper! where is the justice in that??

my other daughter was sent home because she had a furry pencil case!! where is the justice in that?? as long as they are at school what does it matter? and that is my argument every time. There seems to be a fear in this c**t-ry with parents being too scared to confront teachers and heads of boards for fear of being taken to court. but let me tell you, I'M FUCKIN NOT!

Teachers these days are lazy, arrogant, ignorant, thick as pig shit, over paid wankers of the highest degree!

The pencil case/cardigan thing seems a bit ridiculous, but I'm
not sure I agree with this. Some teachers are awful, but not all teachers, and being confrontational is not as helpful as having a calm discussion about the problems you've identified. I'm frustrated with bad teaching when I see the kids pick up complete nonense from teachers, but most of what they are taught is very good. I think teachers want to do a good job, and do care about the kids they teach, but the culture that surrounds teaching is seriously flawed. I think the problem with teaching in the UK is that it's viewed as a fall-back option for people with a degree and marketed as that by the government. In Finland, which has the top education in the world, teaching is a very difficult profession to get into and teachers are well-trained, well-regarded and dedicated.

This conversation seems to be a rather elongated fantasy wind up that stopped being funny a while ago.

Quote: sootyj @ March 14 2013, 11:02 AM GMT

This conversation seems to be a rather elongated fantasy wind up that stopped being funny a while ago.

Wind ups can lead to interesting conversations regardless of their original intent.

Quote: Loopey @ March 14 2013, 11:16 AM GMT

Wind ups can lead to interesting conversations regardless of their original intent.

'xackly. :)

Quote: Tursiops @ March 14 2013, 9:53 AM GMT

Most of us do not get to meet many PE teachers so judgements have to be based on the available sample. But my beef is less with the individuals than with the system and the measurement of success.

No disagreement there, but the purpose of education is to educate and I do not remember any PE teacher teaching me anything about my body or how to use it, which I kind of assumed was their job. All they seemed to be interested in was sorting the wheat from the chaff so that the school would have a successful team.

Apologies if you thought my post was aimed at you it wasn't. Rather some of the comments in the previous page or two.

Is it the teachers or the system with which you have the problem? because some of the behaviour you have shown, apparently, at school and towards teachers borders on the insane.

I will say, too, that I do not believe for a second that your child was sent home for having a furry pencil case! What I do think is that you take every opportunity you get to take your outrage to the school and confront teachers to show how 'not scared' of them or the system you are. Just based on what you've written and I find that outrageous.

Furry pencil case

Snigger

Quote: Loopey @ March 14 2013, 10:33 AM GMT

I'm not afraid to do what needs to be done to ensure a decent education and have been to many high level meetings and tribunals for my children and as a befriender to other families. I used assertiveness, educational psychology, The Childrens' Act and the Government's Code of Practice for Education.

Ya big daftie Loopey, wasting all that time when you could've just made a comment about a man's wife's minge and/or anus :P (I acknowledge this is an unfortunate choice of emoticon)

Quote: AJGO @ March 14 2013, 1:46 PM GMT

Ya big daftie Loopey, wasting all that time when you could've just made a comment about a man's wife's minge and/or anus :P (I acknowledge this is an unfortunate choice of emoticon)

Laughing out loud

Quote: AJGO @ March 14 2013, 1:46 PM GMT

Laughing out loud Excellent choice of emoticon, right back on the comedy track.
Guilty as charged m'am. I have given myself a strict talking to and will try and remember not to post anything on a subject I find interesting regardless of whether it's a wind up. I might even apply for a job as Mod to keep everyone else in check. Whistling nnocently

my other daughter was sent home because she had a furry pencil case!!

Ballshit.