Eric Sykes Page 3

A lot of them are on Vimeo.
Probably illegally, but, you know...

This Thurs. 4th May 8am and repeated 1pm and 6pm on Radio 4 Extra, to celebrate what would have been his 100th birthday, the 2007 interview he did on his life

He was also in an episode of dinnerladies as Stan's father. Victoria Wood must have been thrilled to get him and Thora Hird on the show at the same time.

Loved the man - a genuine comic genius

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th April 2023, 11:59 AM

Loved the man - a genuine comic genius

I concur. ITVX have just added his episode of This Is Your Life, it's a real treat seeing the likes of Milligan, Howard, Jimmy Edwards et al turn up to praise him. The Plank is also on there, still stands up as a perfect piece of slapstick.

Yes a classic, and I prefer the original to the remake with Arthur Lowe in Tommy's part.

And thank you so much for the info on the TIYL!! Wow! Just watched the start of it - wonderful, and I sincerely hope they repeat some of the other classic episodes that have lain dormant and dusty in the ITV archives.

Really enjoyed the This Is Your Life, but all of those marvellous comedians and comedy actors now all dead - so sad.

And a real joy to see Bill Fraser, who was so generous to other comedians on their way up. I've read two books now where it was mentioned that he would buy jokes for a fiver off the likes of Norman Wisdom and Eric Sykes, just so they could get a meal. Lovely man, and very funny too.

TV reminder this time, after my radio one on Sykes:

This Tues. 9th BBC4 9.00pm "Eric Sykes: One of the Great Troupers" from 1981, to be shown after two episodes of "Sykes"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th May 2023, 4:41 PM

TV reminder this time, after my radio one on Sykes:

This Tues. 9th BBC4 9.00pm "Eric Sykes: One of the Great Troupers" from 1981, to be shown after two episodes of "Sykes"

This Eric Sykes "Great Troupers" programme was shown on BBC4 again a night or two back (late November 2023). It is also available on the BBC iPlayer

I watched it now knowing what to expect, but I loved it.

It is rather dated (1981) but only 45 minutes long, with Eric on stage in a small theatre talking about his life. Some of it is obviously not true (tongue in cheek) but much of it is.

He shows some clips from his shows like Sykes etc.

I am over 70 now and been watching comedy all my life so it takes a lot to make me laugh (having seen it all before) but I loved the opening 5 minutes of the show, and I roared out laughing at the clip from Sykes where he and Hattie are trying to eat dinner while handcuffed together.

I love Spike Milligan and he is rightly regarded as a genius of comedy but sadly I don't think Eric Sykes gets the credit he deserves for a lifetime of writing and performing great comedy.

Quote: Guilbert @ 1st December 2023, 10:18 AM

This Eric Sykes "Great Troupers" programme was shown on BBC4 again a night or two back (late November 2023). It is also available on the BBC iPlayer

I am over 70 now and been watching comedy all my life so it takes a lot to make me laugh (having seen it all before) but I loved the opening 5 minutes of the show, and I roared out laughing at the clip from Sykes where he and Hattie are trying to eat dinner while handcuffed together.

I love Spike Milligan and he is rightly regarded as a genius of comedy but sadly I don't think Eric Sykes gets the credit he deserves for a lifetime of writing and performing great comedy.

And I'm 78, and yes great programme which I have burnt to DVD, and of course he wrote/helped out Spike on a lot of the Goon Shows, as did the much forgotten Larry Stephens, whose book I have just finished reading and will be reviewing soon.

Love "The Plank" he did with Tommy Cooper. Maybe being hard of hearing helped him develop his physical comedy ? He was great at grimacing.

The remake with Arthur Lowe, not quite so funny I thought.

I read his autobiography years ago.
If I Don't Write It Nobody Else Will.

I remember really enjoying it.

Ditto