Private Cheeseman appreciation thread

I have always thought that the Private Cheeseman character from Dads Army get some unfair bad press. I think he was funny and should have been kept on. What do the rest of you think?

I am a Dad's Army fan but I didn't get the Cheeseman Character I'm afraid. I found him more annoying than funny. A bit like someone kicking you in the nads while smiling.

I always thought he looked like the Spitting Image puppet of Norman Fowler. I can't find a pic of that at the mo so you'll have to make due with the real thing.

Private Cheeseman

Norman Fowler

I think he was a decent character, but just not strong enough to be lining up alongside Mainwaring, Wilson, Jones, Frazer, Godfrey and Pike.

What Jack said. Just felt a bit gimmicky in comparison.

Think he was too strong - too imposing on some very well established characters - just watch John Laurie's face when Cheeseman says some of his lines - you can see the dislike and frustration on his face that somebody new is muscling in - Jimmy Perry tells the story of John Laurie saying to him "get rid of Cheeseman he's getting too many laughs"

Glad he wasn't kept in though :)

It is interesting that David Croft found him irritating. Jimmy Perry did not! Jimmy Perry thought he was hilarious. According to Perry, John Laurie complained about Cheeseman having "too many laughs", which was a contributing factor to them getting rid of the character.I for one think Cheesman is very funny and I loved the way he referred to mainwareing as "Boy". To compare him with Walker is totally unfair. If Cheeseman had been part of the original line up there would be no complaints.

Doomwatch! Thrill to Talfryn Thomas getting mildly bullied in a lift and then run over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii_SaBd5eUw