Recommend me something!

Hello
I feel like I watch/listen to the same kind of comedians/writers work all the time. I'm bored and looking at the nominees for the 2009 BCG award thingy I realised I knew hardly any of them. I am clearly very behind. Broaden my horizons! Sort of stuff I repeatedly watch listed below (seems pretty narrow to me), but feel free to recommend something totally different that I won't have even thought of trying. Also interested in stand up comedians that aren't well known.

Watch too much of:

Anything involving Armando Iannucci/Chris Morris/Charlie Brooker/Stewart Lee/Richard Herring/Simon Munnery/Graham Linehan

And also:
Spaced
Black Books
Peep Show

Watched other things as well, obviously, but these are the sort of things I can watch ad nauseaum. Tell me of something you loved in any medium that doesn't fit in the list and I will go try it out!

Thank you!

Arrested Development

30 Rock!

Yeah, go for some American stuff like 30 Rock or Flight of the Conchords.

Maybe listen to more comedy? I can recommend Ivor Cutler, Ed Reardon, Cabin Pressure, Down the Line (very broad mix right there). Peter Cook's Over at Rainbow's? Not strictly a comedy, but funny and eye-opening.

Maybe watch older comedy like Yes Minister (which inspired Ianucci's Thick of It), and Galton and Simpson, and Clement and Frenais are experts in their comedy styles.

Curb your Enthisasm is a lesson in plotting.

I just watched Snuffbox, which is a mixed bag for me, but worth a view.

I really liked Garth Merenghi.

Dinnerladies, epsecially series 2, is sublime.

For stand up (sit down!), try Dave Allen.

Some to be getting on with...

Quote: chipolata @ January 17 2010, 8:47 PM GMT

Yeah, go for some American stuff like 30 Rock or Flight of the Conchords.

Haven't had the pleasure of 30 Rock, but FOTC is one of my faves.

Quote: scratchyr @ January 17 2010, 8:52 PM GMT

30 Rock (and basically all of NBC's Thursday night lineup: The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock and My Name is Earl (R.I.P.)) is solid.

Quote: scratchyr @ January 17 2010, 8:52 PM GMT

Try 30 Rock. A lot of Arrested Development fans love it just as much. Me included.

I like it much more than Arrested Development. For some reason I can't seem to care about any of the AD characters.

Kinda know what you mean about the characters. Although I can't help but love Gob. Definitely going to seek out some 30 Rock as I've seen it mentioned a few times here.

Quote: zooo @ January 17 2010, 8:58 PM GMT

I like it much more than Arrested Development. For some reason I can't seem to care about any of the AD characters.

I guess you always run that risk with monstrous characters. Although they do deal with that problem in an episode in the third season when they try and make themselves more lovable to avoid cancelation. That said, I love them.

I think maybe they're all too cartoonish. Most of the characters on 30 Rock certainly have their moments, but generally feel real.

For me the first series of Flight of the Conchords is the best TV comedy of the last 5 years.

Sglen. I am sad to say it but I think the programs you like simply are not very good and that if you were to give more 'conventional' comedy a chance you wouldn't never return to the sleeze drench like 'The Peep Show' ever again. Hence my list of recommended shows reads-

Allo allo
Miranda
Terry and June
So Haunt Me
Dads Army
Love Thy Neighbour

If you want me to PM you any more shows please do not hesitate to ask.

Human Remains