Comedy.co.uk Awards 2009 Page 4

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2010, 3:52 PM GMT

I personally wouldn't vote twice for the same thing in different categories, I'd want to spread the love a little bit.

Hussy... As for the award. They seem to have captured the best and worst of the year.

Harsh on Big Top I thought; Life of Riley was my pick, but that was screened at the start of the year, and people have short memories.

Life Of Riley got a good number of votes, but a HELL of a lot less than Big Top.

I agree with the overwhelming majority of the award winners and losers. In fact the only one I didn't fathom was Best Panel Show - I'm getting tired of that unfunny smugfest that is QI and was much more entertained by Would I Lie To You?

Other then that, I concur with the choices.

Well done for organising the awards and maybe next year, voting will be less confusing.

The QI people have a lot of Twitter followers and a good web-friendly PR machine.

I said 'good', didn't I? ;)

(No, I wasn't referring to Ian, although I expect he did plug the awards quite a bit to QI groupies.)

Pretty good results, even though I only voted about 5 times in total. Hadn't seen half the things on the list, but all the best things got the nod.

It's a shame Brooker didn't get anything.

Quote: Aaron @ January 25 2010, 6:02 PM GMT

I said 'good', didn't I? ;)

(No, I wasn't referring to Ian, although I expect he did plug the awards quite a bit to QI groupies.)

Admittedly I did plug QI a bit, but that's the power of the web for you.

Some might call QI smug - I say it has quite a bit to be smug about:

* It once held the highest ratings for any show on BBC Four.
* First show to retain a comedy.co.uk award
* Also winner of British Comedy Awards and the Rose d'Or.
* Producers of the fourth best-selling book on Amazon.co.uk ever (The Book of General Ignorance).
* Probably the most Reithian show on TV - the one that most educates, informs and entertains in equal measure.

I consider QI to be one of the most important comedies currently shown. Perhaps not the funniest, but certainly one of the most important. I may write a feature article expressing my view - provided Mark posted my other articles at some point.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 25 2010, 7:38 PM GMT

* Probably the most Reithian show on TV - the one that most educates, informs and entertains in equal measure.

What's the difference between educating and informing, in this context?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 25 2010, 7:47 PM GMT

What's the difference between educating and informing, in this context?

You'd have to ask Lord Reith - but seeing as he is dead that's somewhat difficult.

On the Moving Wallpaper front, is series 2 out any time soon on DVD? And will there be a 3rd series?

There's no release of it scheduled at present. I would guess they're still waiting to hear news on a third series; AFAIK there hasn't been any official word either way.

Re QI, it's great to have something so informative and funny on TV, but IMO has gone downhill of late.

Ian Wolf defending QI, I would expect nothing less and good on you sir.

For me, QI basically boils down to this week after excruiatingly long week -

STEVIE FRY:

Now back to the letter P. The Amazonian Chunky Monkey Spider has the biggest one of these in the animal kingdom. What is it?

SHIT COMEDIAN:

Penis!

*arooga, arooga noise and the word PENIS flashing on screen*

Yes, it both informs and educates. It's fab. :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 25 2010, 8:52 PM GMT

Ian Wolf defending QI, I would expect nothing less and good on you sir.

For me, QI basically boils down to this week after excruiatingly long week -

STEVIE FRY:

Now back to the letter P. The Amazonian Chunky Monkey Spider has the biggest one of these in the animal kingdom. What is it?

SHIT COMEDIAN:

Penis!

*arooga, arooga noise and the word PENIS flashing on screen*

Yes, it both informs and educates. It's fab. :(

Actually, there's been a lack of penis related facts at the moment. Besides, I imagine the blue whale has the biggest penis of all, and I know that barnacles have biggest penis relative to their size of any animals (seven times the length of their shell).

I do have to admit that Series G has not been the best. I think the problem is that the regulars have played the game so long now that they can easily avoid the klaxons, which are the best bit IMO. Also, I seem to know quite a lot of stuff which has been appearing on the show. For example, in the Germany episode I knew about Godwin's Law, the Spuk and the uses of Monopoly sets to escape from jail. If you already know the information, then it becomes less interesting.