British Satire vs American Quickfire

Why does America need to remake our exports; Fawlty Towers, The Office e.t.c. (why do we have such a different sense of humour?) ?

It works both ways (who can forget the awful remakes of The Golden Girls and Mad About You). Whilst Lead Balloon is essentially a remake of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Coupling was a British version of Friends.

The Americans have done an excellent job with their version of The Office - they stayed true to the original whilst taking it in new directions.

Re. a different sense of humour - not sure if this is really the case. It's often said that Americans don't do irony, but tell that to the people behind The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Cheers, Scrubs, Arrested Development etc. It's a big country and I'm sure that a lot of Americans don't have a good sense of humour but then again I've met many dull Brits who think that My Family is hilarious.

I think there is certainly a difference between the senses of humour of countries but there is also a lot of overlap. Many Americans have been influenced by everything from Monty Python to P.G. Wodehouse whilst several of the recent shows that have influnced British writers have been American.

Quote: Nick @ October 12, 2006, 2:36 PM

I think there is certainly a difference between the senses of humour of countries but there is also a lot of overlap. Many Americans have been influenced by everything from Monty Python to P.G. Wodehouse whilst several of the recent shows that have influnced British writers have been American.

I have an American Pit Bull Terrier and he has also been influenced greatly by B G Woodhouse, unfortunately it was a too late for that poor little boy.